Job ID 6215
Experience 4 Years
Gender Male or Famele
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Officer
Job ID: 210004Q2
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employee Status: Permanent
Reports to: Administration Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: Office Assistants
Post Type: National
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- This position is specifically responsible for supporting activities related to office facility, maintenance, space allocation and General Administrative support.
- The Administrative Officer will generally be responsible for the coordination of the effective functioning of all facilities to provide an efficient and safe working environment for employees and their activities by using best business practices to manage resources, services and processes to meet the needs of the Country Office. This will include the development and institutionalization of sustainable management practices that are suited for the SCI Nigeria context.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure that all spaces are in good condition, cleaned and that the basic security standards put in place by SCI for its premises are abided by.
- Ensure that all facilities and equipment rented by SCI are used in compliance with the agreement between the owner and SCI, in compliance with security and safety standards;
- Managing all contracted services concerning office cleaning, waste disposal, and janitorial supplies needed in the office.
- Ensure offices, guest house and residences have all minimum required material for emergencies such as emergency signs indicators, maintained extinguishers, smoke detectors, alerts, etc.
- Managing relations with utility agencies providing electricity, water, air-conditioning maintenance services. Assessing the quality of services and sharing analysis with the Administration Manager. Ensure that all related bills are paid on time and that all related contracts are renewed on time.
- Ensure that all furniture and non-IT equipment used by SCI are in good condition, organizing repair and maintenance and being in charge of doing the furniture and non-IT equipment replacement plan in collaboration with the Logistics Department.
- Managing the relations with Finance & Logistics on annual insurance cover for office furniture and fittings (GPEs).
- Ensure that the office and guest house are well maintained. When repair is needed, initiate the repair requests, once the service provider is chosen, manage the whole process up to the final payment of the invoice.
- Support availability and suitability of options for new premises (i.e office and homes for international staff), initiate the request, when the choice is done, ensure all required approval in compliance with SCI policy are in files, drafting the contract using the approved template. Once the contract is signed by both parties, managing the relations with the landlord.
- After consulting Senior Managers and Project Managers, planning best allocation and utilization of space and resources of the office. Produce the monthly space allocation report before the 5th of the next month to submit Administration Manager.
- Liaise with Relevant Admin staff to facilitate compliance with Government of Nigeria Immigration requirements for SCI/Nigeria International staff and families.
- Ensure that the Country Office is covered by a Host Country Agreement. Informing the Administration Coordinator for starting new negotiations.
- Ensure that all required reports by the Government in the application of the Country Host Agreement are prepared, accurate, and submitted to the Government on time. SCI annual plan should be submitted to the Government before the end of January, the mid-annual report submitted before the end of June, and the final annual report by the end of December, according to the host agreement signed with the Office of Budget & National Planning Commission.
- In Collaboration with the Admin Coordinator, facilitate a joint annual evaluation and monitoring of SCI activities by the Government through the National Planning Commission and coordinate all efforts to respond to the Government operation queries.
- The post holder may carry out other duties in addition to, or instead of those outlined above which may reasonably be required from time to time, to assist the Support Services department by providing cover when the Administrative Coordinator or Programme Administrative Assistant is on leave or as a result of an increased level of Country Office activities. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide administrative support to programme teams based in Abuja as delegated by the line manager
- Support other functional areas of Admin/HR in-country office and field offices
- Assist in data gathering and Analysis
- Any other duties assigned by the line manager
- Internal: Administrative/HR Team, Cleaners, Office Assistants and regular liaison with the country management teams in Abuja and Field offices
- External: Contact with maintenance vendors and Government Agencies
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- B.Sc / HND in relevant field
- Experience using analytical tools for data management is essential to this role
- Four years’ relevant administrative experience, preferably with an international organization
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must demonstrate a good understanding of contemporary management best practices
- Must have proven experience in facility management
- Excellent people skills
- Demonstrate a high level of initiative, diplomacy, and tact
- Excellent knowledge of computer software – MS Excel skills will be prioritized
- Must be flexible and be able to work independently and as part of a team
- This Job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
15th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.