Job ID 32846
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer
Job Identification: 6807
Job Schedule: Full-time
Supervised by: Programme Development and Quality Manager
Reporting to: Programme Development and Quality Manager
- The Communications Officer will work to increase local, national and international understanding of DRC’s work and role in Nigeria through high-quality communications products developed in line with DRC guidelines, donor commitments, protection principles and ethical standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the PDQM, develop, implement, and monitor a communication and visibility plan to facilitate better understanding among partners, donors, beneficiaries and host communities, media, the general public, and government stakeholders of DRC Nigeria’s work and role;
- Under the direction of the PDQM, develop DRC Nigeria’s Communications Strategy and update on an annual basis;
- Write, edit and produce communication products promoting the contribution of DRC Nigeria to the humanitarian response;
- Undertake field visits to produce creative and engaging communications products to raise awareness of the crisis in northeast Nigeria and the humanitarian response efforts of DRC;
- Maintain and update DRC Nigeria country profile documents, fact sheets, and presentations for external audiences;
- Engage with NIF Communications Working Group and other relevant working groups and networks to ensure DRC representation and participation;
- Ensure timely publication and distribution of media content on the DRC Nigeria country webpage, DRC Nigeria Twitter account and HQ managed accounts;
- Ensure all DRC and donor visibility requirements and communications commitments are met;
- Provide training on communications and visibility to DRC Nigeria staff to improve contributions to communications initiatives and staff understanding of DRC and donor guidelines;
- Ensure there is appropriate age and gender awareness and considerations in all DRC Nigeria communications;
- Ensure all public multimedia materials have the necessary consent forms on file;
- Advise DRC Nigeria staff on media, public information, awareness raising and visibility issues in line with DRC and donor guidelines, protection principles and ethical standards;
- Contribute communications inputs to proposal development based on donor guidelines;
- In coordination with Supply Chain, maintain and update framework agreements related to visibility products;
- Provide support to PDQM and SMT on media request and interview opportunities;
- In coordination with the PDQM, liaise with DRC West Africa regional office and headquarters communications focal points as required; and,
- Perform other duties as assigned including support to other components of the Quality Assurance Unit.
Qualifications and Work Experience:
- University Degree in a relevant field such as English, Social Sciences, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or similar
- At least three years of professional experience working in journalism or at least three years of professional experience in social media
- Certification or equivalent professional experience in graphic design, web, social media and video production, or similar.
- English – fluent with capacity to produce high-quality written products for formal reporting and public communication purposes
- Hausa and other languages used in northeast Nigeria an asset, but not essential to the position
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills in English required.
- Advanced skill in graphic design, web, social media and video production evidenced by a portfolio of communications products produced by the candidate.
- Demonstrated experience in training and coaching.
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines, and in a complex emergency context.
- Ability to live and work in an insecure and high stress environment.
- Willingness to travel to other DRC bases in Nigeria.
Salary & Benefits
- Non Management H – Level 1
Application Closing Date
8th October, 2023 at midnight (GMT-time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.