Job ID 29224
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-HABITAT, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The main documents outlining the mandate of the organization are the Vancouver Declaration on Human Settlements, Habitat Agenda, Istanbul Declaration on Human Settlements, the Declaration on Cities and Other Human Settlements in the New Millennium, and Resolution 56/206. Its activities contribute to the overall objective of the United Nations to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development within the context and the challenges of a rapidly urbanising world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data / GIS Consultant (PSPA)
Job Code Title: Programme Management Officer, Human Settlements
Location: Aba City, Abia
Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Starting Date: September 2023
- The Data/GIS Consultant will work under the overall guidance of the UN-Habitat Regional Office for Africa (ROAf), Nairobi, Kenya, the overall supervision of the Human Settlements Officer responsible for Nigeria, the immediate supervision of the Project Technical Adviser and the Coordination of the Habitat Programme Support Office (HAPSO), Abuja.
- The duty station shall be in Aba, Abia State and the incumbent, as a member of the Technical Team, will support the Abia State Government in implementation of this project working closely with relevant state ministries especially the Ministry of Lands and Survey, in collaboration with relevant UN-Habitat branches: Urban and Regional Planning Branch (Metropolitan Planning Unit, Urban Planning and Design Lab), Global Urban Observatory/Data and Statistics Unit, Urban Basic Services, and Urban Economy.
Within delegated authority and working in close collaboration with other thematic area Consultants, the Data/GIS Consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide guidance for the acquisition of the most recent satellite imageries to establish base map for Aba city;
- Undertake a comprehensive survey of existing land use patterns and ascertain trends and direction of the growth within Aba City
- Examine the extent of implementation of the short, medium, and long-term infrastructural proposals of any existing plans.
- Carry out traffic transport surveys (road, rail, and water) including public parking facilities to identify existing bottlenecks and opportunities that may affect or influence future demand and plan linkages that can solve the existing traffic congestion within the study area.
- Undertake a survey of socio-economic activities and facilities such as schools, healthcare, employment opportunities, and other related variables for the present and future.
- Carry out an in-depth demographic survey in the study area, taking into consideration the existing situation and projected population growth for the period of twenty (20) years.
- Survey existing housing stock and building development patterns, land value and property rating with a view to determining the use, characteristics, and intensity of development.
- Establish the database for areas that are prone to flooding and proffer solutions to curbing this incidence and its consequences.
- Examine the trends, patterns,s, and changes in the development of the last seven (7) years.
- Review the existing pattern of growth and development of the study area and its environs.
- Identify existing major activity centers, industrial areas and the location of new centers including business districts.
- Identify water bodies and natural habitats within study area for the purpose of protection, preservation and adequate containment.
- Consider contiguous settlements of the study area and integrate them into city/region map.
- Develop an inventory of unique, historical, cultural and scenic areas for the purpose of conservation.
- In laiason with the Technical Adviser and other thematic experts, provide GIS support for preparation of proposals for phasing of the Structure Plan implementation, notably the following:
- Production of on-screen conversion of satellite imageries to Vector format;
- Produce delineation of the Project Areas into Base Maps at agreed scales for easy mapping, data collection and verification;
- Identification of features on the Maps;
- Interpretation and clarification of any ambiguities that may be reported in the maps;
- Input data collected from Field Work into GIS Database with labeling of the features in the map;
- Production of corresponding Land Use. Transportation and other Thematic Projection maps in line with proposals from Consultants;
- Any other tasks that have to do with Map production towards effective completion of the project
- Professionalism: Demonstrable understanding theories and concepts related to urbanization including social and economic development, urban economics, spatial development, local economic development and planning, urban, and regional and territorial planning.
- Strong research and writing skills. Ability to carry out research on the social, economic, political, spatial and planning dimensions of cities and human settlements at local levels. Ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources using standard methodologies and analytical techniques and draw conclusions and assess impacts at different levels.
- Experience in preparing structure plans and write technical reports.
- Ability to review, edit and summarize the work of others. Strong analytical capacity and the ability to identify, analyze and articulate difficult issues/problems.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Urban Planning, Urban Development, Urban Geography, Economics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Urban Governance, Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, Architecture, or any other related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of progressive experience in urban planning, research and policy analysis at the local, national and international levels is required. Experience of networking; experience of project and program management; experience of conducting policy reviews and preparation of policy recommendations for decision-makers; demonstrable analytical, drafting, reporting and presentation experience; experience of analyzing, summarizing and presenting large quantities of statistics on urban issues using relevant computer software; experience in the coordination of multiple contributors to major reports is desirable; and experience in coordinating trainings, technical, fundraising and capacity building workshops.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station or environs.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2023
How to Apply
Interested consultants should send soft copies of their cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘ABA structure plan project’ as the subject of the mail