Job ID 23074
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
UpEnergy brings aspirational energy saving products within reach for low-income communities. We create valuable health and environmental outcomes by providing our users with products that improve their lives every day. Our approach combines local, on-the-ground teams leveraging our platform to best serve users, with over a decade of experience building platforms that generate valuable carbon emission reductions and allow us to provide our products to local communities at affordable subsidized prices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Carbon Policy
Employment type: Full-time
- The role will provide an opportunity to be at the forefront of carbon project implementations with a focus on policies and ensuring we are compliant with international standards.
- Represent and lead government engagements on Article 6, carbon taxation, and tax exemptions.
- Assess compliance market carbon pricing and carbon taxes, in particular under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement.
- Develop special training and capacity building programmes on Article 6/compliance markets for various stakeholders, including governments.
- Lead UpEnergy’s efforts to keep up-to-date with key policy developments across the voluntary carbon market (VCM) as well as compliance markets such as Article 6, EU ETS, and other global carbon mechanisms.
- Lead UpEnergy’s climate policy engagement by engaging in strategic partnerships and financing opportunities.
- Maintain latest financial and/or technical understanding of carbon pricing, carbon markets, other emerging carbon-quantified financial instruments, governance of new transformative carbon commodities, and/or related climate mitigation strategies and policies.
- Enhance connectivity to carbon standards, relevant regulatory bodies, and government agencies internationally to remain acquainted with climate policies and programmes that may have implications for the UpEnergy’s goals.
- Oversee and improve efforts to participate in external events such as conferences, workshops, speakers’ series, etc.
- Lead and develop efforts to improve compliance market (Article 6, RGGI, EU ETS, other compliance programs) reach by closing interacting with government ministries, NDAs, independent bodies, etc.
- Manage a team working on climate policy and lead cross-functional efforts to achieve institutional goals.
- Contribute to UpEnergy’s communication efforts with external stakeholders such as government ministries and other carbon project developers to enhance outreach and find potential partners.
- Contribute and engage in stakeholder government policy planning, such as import/export policy, and guide UpEnergy’s carbon strategy development accordingly.
Does this sound like you?
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, Environmental Sciences, Climate, Energy, or related studies, preferably with demonstrable knowledge on VCM or carbon markets.
- 5 to 10 years of related experience in the areas of policy, carbon and climate change in a supervisory position.
- A strong network of contacts in relevant Govt bodies/Ministries, multi-lateral organizations working in carbon policy, NGOs, alliances, industry groups in African nations.
- Deep understanding of climate and carbon policy, carbon pricing, and carbon markets, and interest to learn and grow.
- Ability to manage time and diverse activities. Highly independent individual, able to assess a situation, make necessary decisions and execute them.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation skills with ability to form collaborative working relationships with multiple groups, internal and external to UpEnergy.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online