Job ID 35109
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver and Logistics Assistant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The Driver & Logistics Assistant is responsible for driving, cleaning, and ensuring proper maintenance of the official project vehicle assigned.
- S/he will assist the office in providing support in safely moving program staff and approved consultants between program venues and other locations within partner states, etc., and providing clerical and logistical support to the team, providing these services in an effective and efficient manner.
- The driver will coordinate closely on a continuous basis with the Security Manager and Operations Manager, among other staff.
The role of the Driver is to provide transportation support to staff and approved consultants within Nigeria. S/he will be responsible for the following:
- Convey DAI/S2S staff and consultants around to/from official businesses as may be assigned by the Administrative Officer (i.e., direct supervisor or designee).
- Convey program materials as may be directed in the ordinary course of program work.
- Ensure adequate safety, cleanliness, security, and maintenance of the assigned vehicle.
- Properly maintain a movement logbook, i.e., daily mileage, for documenting fuel consumption and service record, e.g., oil/filter/etc. changes, etc.
- Be responsible for the overall maintenance of the assigned vehicle; informing the supervisor of any issues in a timely manner.
- Observe the road and traffic laws and regulations of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Ensure safe driving practices are adhered to including local driving codes and internally agreed standards.
- Ensure that all passengers use their seatbelts when traveling within the project vehicle.
- Alcohol/cigarettes must not be consumed or present whilst on duty.
Car Security & Maintenance:
Ensure the vehicle is kept secure, clean, tidy, and in good working condition.
- Ensure that you report any abnormality noticed with the car to the supervisor immediately.
- Ensure the vehicle is given regular, including daily maintenance checks as appropriate, e.g., check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc.
- Ensure vehicle repairs are carried out properly and in a timely manner by reputable, certified (if required) service centers and per manufacturer specifications.
- Vehicle must be used for official assignments ONLY and on no account should the vehicle be diverted for personal use while on official assignment.
- All accidents, however small, must be reported immediately to the supervisor, Operations Manager, Security Manager, and Chief of Party.
- The use of mobile phones or other electronic devices while driving is not allowed. However, if it is an urgent call, you may first request to park in a safe place before picking up/returning the call.
- Regarding presentation, dress smartly and be polite at all times to passengers and officials, including security personnel with whom interact.
- Sending out and receiving mail and packages to state offices, DAI Nigeria (DAI/N), and DAI home office.
- Maintaining a register of all items sent out and received by courier.
- Ensuring that project assets that need to go out of the premises have approved exit clearance.
- Assisting with logistics arrangements for staff travels; car hire, hotel accommodation, ticket booking, etc.
- Assisting with scheduling and following up office and guesthouse generator maintenance in a timely manner.
- Initiating requisitions on TAMIS and processing payments.
- Monitoring service level agreement (SLA)/blanket purchase agreement (BPA) tracker and reminding respective Procurement Specialist(s) four months before the expiry date of respective documents.
- Carrying out any other administrative tasks assigned.
- The Driver and Logistics Assistant will report to the Admin Officer Abuja Main Office and the Operations Manager.
Experience and Requirements
- GCE ordinary level, NECO, or any other evidence of successful completion of Secondary School Education with at least three (3) years’ experience driving in a corporate environment (preferably in an NGO, an Embassy, or other international agency).
- A valid driver’s license, Class B.
- Skills techniques training by reputable service, e.g., David Bertie, is an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with advanced written and spoken English.
- Courteous, professional, and welcoming; proactive with a “can do” attitude.
- Highly organized with strong planning, coordinating, and time management skills.
- Attention to detail in completing tasks is required.
- Calmness and good instinct.
- Excellent knowledge of the geography and road network in the location where most commonly driving.
- Good communication skills (written & oral) in English and local language(s), i.e., Hausa.
- Knowledge of First Aid will be a strong advantage.
- Willingness and ability to work long hours when necessary.
- Willingness and ability to travel at short notice.
- Self-motivated and works well independently requiring limited direct oversight.
- Possesses both the willingness and ability to train and be trained.
- Ambitious with a continuous personal and professional improvement focus.
- Results driven.
Application Closing Date
1st November, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online