Job ID 27521
Experience 15 Years +
Gender Male or Famele
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Energy Sector Specialist Consultant – PECG
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Consultant Type: Individual Consultant
Duration: Twelve (12) months
Expected Start Date: August 2023
Job Family: Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth
- The Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Sector Complex (PEVP) of the African Development Bank aims to fulfil the objectives of “Light Up and Power Africa”. PEVP oversees strategy and policy development in the energy sector; builds alignment across stakeholders; originates projects, develops new, innovative financing instruments.
- The Complex focus on areas of power systems development, financing, policy and regulation, renewable energy, climate and green growth.
- These activities are driven by the sector departments while the Vice President provides overall guidance and strategic orientation.
- The African Development Bank hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest to work as Energy Sector Specialist in support of the Vice-Presidency in charge of Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth.
The services to be provided under the assignment include:
- Support quality at entry of the PEVP projects through technical reviews and inputs to Preliminary Evaluation Notes (PENs), Project Conception Notes (PCNs) and Project Appraisal Reports (PARs) as a peer technical reviewer.
- Support quality during implementation and results management by reviewing Implementation Progress and Results Reports and advising on any remedial actions to be undertaken on portfolio operations. Ensure that any operational weaknesses recorded, lessons learnt, and best practices are captured for purposes of application in future projects and presented in a bi-monthly senior management report.
- Support operating departments with market assessments, technical and financial due diligence of opportunities, and general business development, to guarantee robust and growing pipeline of viable energy projects.
- Support the identification, preparation, and supervision of specific energy investment operations as recommended by the supervisor.
Portfolio Management and Monitoring:
- Provide bi-monthly operations report to the Vice President outlining the status and progress of portfolio projects.
- Monitor and advise the Vice President on the management of key performance indicators on portfolio performance and result indicators. Harmonize management reporting tools within the various departments in the Complex.
Competencies and Qualifications
The consultant should have the following competencies and qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Energy Planning / Economics, Business Administration, or equivalent areas relevant for energy sector development.
- Familiar with energy policies, regulations, technologies or strategies, private sector participation, and institutional development needed to support the development of projects and analytic work.
- Minimum of 20 years post-qualification experience in planning, designing, and implementing power infrastructure projects including renewable energy generation, transmission and distribution, and on-grid and off-grid electrification and access projects.
- Specific knowledge and experience with power systems, demonstrated by expertise in power generation technologies, especially renewable energy – wind, solar, hydropower and geothermal, transmission and distribution systems.
- Familiarity with power system expansion planning processes, power structures, utility, tariff and regulatory reforms, etc.
- Knowledge of capital cost, operating costs, operating parameters, and productivity benchmarks of various energy subsectors.
- Good knowledge of emerging energy technologies, such as green hydrogen, and energy storage, as well as carbon capture and storage technologies, and their application to energy transition processes.
- Familiarity, and experience with International Financial Institutions will be a strong added advantage.
- Exposure and excellent understanding of the international agenda and geopolitics of energy systems, climate change and green growth.
- Experience in forging and managing relationships with a variety of stakeholders – local organizations governments and financing institutions.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
8th June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of Interest (CV and Motivational Letter, Reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.) to: Dr. Alain Niyubahwe, Adviser to Vice President PEVP via: email@example.com copy Caroline Mwangi Makenzi: firstname.lastname@example.org and Marie–Therese N’dri–Kouakou via: a.n’email@example.com using ” AHMP Programme Officer” as the subject of the mail.
Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during the Bank’s working hours of 0800Hrs to 1700Hrs GMT excluding Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays:
African Development Bank Group
CCIA-Building – Avenue Jean Paul II, Abidjan Plateau
01 BP 1387bAbiidjan 01- Côte d’Ivoirent
- The PEVP Complex hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-described services. Interested Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake this Assignment (CV and Motivational Letter, Reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- For the Expression of Interest to be considered, the consultant needs to be registered in the AfDB DACON Consultant Database.
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Rules and Procedure for the Selection of Corporate Consultants.
- Interest expressed by an Individual Consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
Other jobs you may like
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Kaduna North, Kaduna, Centre for Community Development and Research Network (CCDRN)