Job ID 20604
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $400M in revenue (>$150M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Executive Director (Global)
Reports to: President
- We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages.
- We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization.
- We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
- Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced.
- We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
- Location: This role is remote however candidates must be based in or willing to relocate to one of our African countries of operation.
About this Role
- The Executive Director will oversee all day-to-day operations of the organization reporting to and working in close partnership with the President.
- You will manage our 900+ globally distributed team members, a $200M+ annual budget, and the strategy, operations, program development, technology, and revenue generation functions.
- As someone passionate about shifting the status quo in the aid space, you’ll define the roadmap and vision for maximizing the cash we raise to deliver to recipients.
- We believe elevating recipient choice is critical, as is demonstrably committing to transparency around metrics and evidence.
- We are looking for applicants who are deeply aligned with these objectives, and energized by the prospect of leading our organization through continued growth and improvement.
What You’ll Do
- Manage and act as a strategic partner to a team of high-performing senior leaders, overseeing all core functions of the organization, including Finance, People, Program Operations, Revenue, and Research and directing organizational strategy in alignment with GiveDirectly’s mission and vision
- Oversee day-to-day activities and organization operations, translating strategy to annual operating plans, and establishing systems to track progress and ensure accountability across the organization
- Cultivating an organizational culture in alignment with GiveDirectly’s values, and one that attracts, retains and motivates a high-performing, diverse team
- Represent GiveDirectly externally with funders, government officials, and other stakeholders.
What You’ll Bring
- 15+ years leadership experience at the executive level
- Experience managing large (900+ people), fast-growing, diverse, globally distributed teams at an executive level
- Significant work experience in multiple low-income countries globally
- Strongly preferred: experience in at least one of the African countries we have operations in. These countries are: DRC, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Uganda
- Analytical problem solver: Looks at problems w/an analytical and iterative mindset, with strong framework for prioritization
- Ability to build trusting, inclusive, high-performing teams
- Exceptional relationship management: you’re excited to build a movement to achieve our mission, both via establishing new relationships for GD and strengthening existing ones
- Strong, succinct communications: Skilled in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- A belief that people living in poverty deserve the dignity to choose for themselves how best to improve their lives
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem-solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third-party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no-negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The U.S. salary range for this role is $350,000 – $450,000
- We will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
About the Hiring Process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
- First interview (30 mins)
- Take home skills assignment (2 hours)
- Second interview (1 hour)
- Third interview (1 hour)
- Final interview (1 hour)
- Reference checks (30 mins each)
- For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
- We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
- Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call.
- If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
- We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com.
- GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all.
- GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.