Job ID 32858
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Compliance Assistant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Durations: 2 Years
Type: Fixed Term Contract
No of weekly working hours: 40
Programme: Campaigns and Education
- The Finance and Compliance assistant will assist in recording all financial transactions and payments for all Programs of AI Nigeria adhering to the accounting manual of AI Nigeria and ensure timely financial and accounting reports.
- Set up and maintain filing systems of all financial transactions, Vouchers, contracts, and related financial documents.
- Ensure all purchase requests and payment requests comply to AI Nigeria’s office manual, project budgets and regulatory requirements.
- To assist the Finance and Office manager in the organisational (finance, administration, office maintenance and facilities and IT) functions of Amnesty International Nigeria’s Office.
- Prepare all supporting documentation is for payment vouchers and carry out Voucher Reconciliation monthly.
- Maintain the cash and bank files, ensuring that all cash and bank information is properly filed and prepare bank reconciliations monthly.
- Support the financial control of Nigeria Office’s activities through the preparation of monthly balance sheet position, income and expenditure and statement of financial position.
- Assist in reviewing actual office spending with annual budget along Amnesty International Strategic goals and prepare Budget Versus Actual (BVA) reports for donor project and RAM grants.
- Support the Finance and Office Manager in ensuring the cash flow of the office is managed to ensure sufficient liquid reserves and minimal exchange rate risk
- Perform timely and efficient processing of expense claims, invoices, advances, and supplier payments.
- Assist in maintaining office procedures, security protocols, logistics and procurement
- Maintain an effective filing system and ensure transparency to financial records and operations logs.
- Manage Withholding Tax (WHT) deductions on all payments and prepare monthly remittance across states in Nigeria.
- Prepare annual regulatory remittance of NSITF, NHF, Employee and Employer Pension and PAYE and obtain certificates.
- Prepare financial documents and accounts for donor project and annual audits with external auditors and regulatory authorities.
- Assist in planning, internal meetings, seminars and workshops and logistics support as necessary.
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work.
- Perform other finance and compliance tasks as necessary.
- Reporting to: Finance and Office Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: This post has no line management responsibility. However, the finance and compliance assistant works with other team member, participants in research and campaigning projects, consultants, interns, temporary staff and other official activities.
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the researchers, campaigners and the Finance and Office Manager; West and Central Africa Regional Office (WARO); International Secretariat (IS).
Skills, Attributes and Experience
- A Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or related field or relevant professional qualifications. A masters’ degree or a professional qualification is an advantage.
- At least 4 years’ experience in Finance and Regulatory compliance administration
- Demonstrated interest in human rights, e.g. through previous work, involvement in human rights campaigns and movement
- Good time management and planning skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude, able to deal with different people
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multitask and work to deadlines to achieve results
- Excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office 365
- Good financial acumen and numeracy skills.
N500,000 / Month.
Application Closing Date
2nd October 2023 by 23.59 pm UK time