Job ID 4812
Experience 3 Years
Gender Male or Famele
Sexual Offences Awareness & Response (SOAR) Initiative is a child focused non-profit organisation working to provide prevention and response solutions to child sexual abuse. Our specific emphasis is on adolescent girls as we work with men and boys, communities and educational institutions to address this menace. Our strategy follows from the recognition that negative gender and socio-cultural norms and unequal power relations are key root causes of sexual violence and gender inequality and so seek to address these in our interventions to mitigate sexual violence.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full Time
Expected Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Nigerian and standard accounting practices by strengthening the structure of the accounts system of the organisation: setting up the chart of accounts with the different general ledger accounts and assigning specific codes to them.
- Ensure that ALL financial transactions and processes in the organisation are in full compliance with set internal control policies and continually advise on updates to these policies to strengthen on-going processes and practices
- Preparation of the annual operations budget of the organization for presentation to the Board by the penultimate month of each year
- Preparation of monthly income & expenditure reports for all projects / programs
- Management of the organization’s assets via maintenance of an asset register
- Manage SOAR’s banking operations, including setting up accounts, updating mandates/signatories, making payments, and reconciling accounts
- Match invoices /receipts with payment vouchers, Goods Received Notes and other required documents
- Ensure that complete and accurate accounting records for all SOAR’s transactions are maintained, and accounting journals, books and software are updated and reviewed in a timely manner
- Oversee the payment process at SOAR and ensure that all necessary approvals are sought and received in line with ALL internal control policies and procedures before payments to staff, volunteers. vendors or partners are made.
- Manage SOAR’s payroll process, including liaising with field office supervisors to ensure that field offices process payroll in a timely and accurate manner
- Prepare and submit monthly management accounts with accurate financial analysis, including updating cashflow forecasts, and other reports in a timely manner to the Board, Executive Director, funders and other stakeholders as required.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports with monthly variances for all projects and consolidated organizational accounts, perform monthly bank reconciliations and liaise with bankers as needed
- Act as a point of contact for SOAR staff for finance queries and providing financial support to team members,
- Monitor, update and manage the finances of every project / program via monthly variance analysis
- Prepare, process and remit all staff income tax, withholding tax, value added tax and other relevant statutory documentation such as Annual Reports to FIRS and CAC and other regulatory bodies as at when due
- Ensure proper documentation and filing of all financial documents, records etc in a clear and accessible manner
- Develop year-end financial reports and assist the annual external audit process as required.
- Support fundraising activities through development of financial budget for each grant proposal developed
- Provide support in logistics, planning and implementation of organization’s events and project activities as required. Note, however that this must not jeopardize your ability to deliver on the primary role for this position as stated in numbers 1 to 18 above
- Other tasks as required by the Executive Director.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Skills to be Evidenced in Profile
- Minimum of HND or B.Sc Degree in Accounting with a minimum of 3 to 5years relevant work experience in an NGO or audit firm
- Personal integrity, honesty, trustworthiness and transparency is essential. Provide in your CV, three referees to attest to character, integrity and technical ability including from supervisor/management personnel from last place of employment.
- Strong intellectual ability and professional financial experience evidenced by additional certifications or formal qualification in accountancy. Professional accounting certification (ICAN /ACCA) or part qualification is an added advantage
- Knowledge/understanding of reporting requirements for NGOs in Nigeria (FIRS, CAC etc)
- Excellent IT skills, with specific competency in MS Word and Microsoft Excel. Previous experience using QuickBooks accounting software is highly desirable
- Ability to manage multiple donor accounts and produce on required deliverables in a timely manner
- Self-motivated and dynamic, with excellent organizational skills and a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team environment with technical and non-technical staff. Strong verbal and written communication skills is required.
- High sense of confidentiality and understanding that revelation of financial information is on a need-to-know basis.
- Highly organized, with ability to deliver error free work output, exhibit self-motivation and be self-directed.
- Demonstrated ability to follow procedures, multitask, work under pressure/ tight schedules yet meet deadlines.
Application Closing Date
14th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a Cover Letter with their CV showing gender, age and relevant experience to the roles and responsibilities stated above to: email@example.com with e-mail subject as: “Finance Officer” – Your Name.
- Women are highly encouraged to apply.
- Shortlisting of applications will start as soon as applications are received. Deadlines can therefore be changed without prior notice.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and required to scan in relevant documents and participate in both online and face-to-face meetings during the different interview phases.