Job ID 21122
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Grants Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The Grants Officer is responsible for donors’ proposals and reports writing.
- He/she works in close collaboration with Deputy General Coordinator in charge of programs, the Desk Manager and Program Support Officer in HQ.
- He/she advises on donors’ compliance, rules and regulations dissemination and acceptance by all relevant staff and serves as the Focal Point for the Mission communication initiatives / strategies to promote visibility on MdM works in Nigeria.
- Hierarchical link: Deputy General coordinator in charge of programs
- Functional link: Program Support Officer based in HQ
- Support the General coordinator, the Deputy General Coordinator in charge of programs and the team in HQ in the coordination and the writing of proposals
- Provide timelines and ensure timely submission of project proposals and reports developed toHQ
- Make sure that the proposals match the MDM strategy in Borno State
- Support the Deputy General Coordinator in charge of programs by taking the lead in the writing of certain parts of the proposals (non-technical part) and help in the compilation of the different contributions
- Work in close collaboration with the medical, logistics, HR and finance departments, to ensure consistency among the different components of proposals – i.e. log frame, budget, procurement needs, narrative
- Review the different contributions (especially from the program department), share comments to the team to ensure the quality of documents
- Make sure that all indicators are SMART and target realistic, in collaboration with the Deputy General Coordinator in charge of programs and the M&E Advisor
- Be the focal point at mission level for HQ (Program Support Officer, with the support of the Public and Institutional Funding Unit) for grants/reporting, and consider donor compliance and guidelines to ensure adherence
Donors’ and Internal Reporting:
- Support country mission in the coordination and writing of donor reports
- Ensure timely submission of reports to HQ
- Ensure adherence to donor deadlines, including developing and disseminating timelines to relevant staff
- Follow up on mission-level reporting and ensure that documents are submitted on time
- Support the Deputy General Coordinator in charge of programs by taking the lead in the writing of certain parts of the reports (non-technical part) and help in the compilation of the different contributions
- Work in close collaboration with the medical, logistics, MEAL and finance departments, to ensure consistency among the different components of the reports
- Act as a focal point for report related queries, e.g. templates and compliance, in collaboration with the Program Support Officer
- Take the lead in the preparation of the monthly MDM situation report, by liaising with the different mission departments to get and review their contribution
- Prepare and update grants tracker on regular basis and share with relevant departments
- Maintain overview of all donor requirements, rules and regulations; ensure their good dissemination and acceptance by key staffs, with the support of HQ
- Carry out regular donor mapping exercises and identify new funding opportunities in line with the country program’s strategy
- Maintain a database of current and expected call for proposals
- On request of the General Coordinator, approach relevant donors for potential funding
- On request of the General Coordinator, attend to meetings with donors
- Support the mission in the organization of external audit or evaluation
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)/Partnership Agreements:
- Support the Deputy General Coordinator in charge of programs in the writing of needed operational MOU or amendments (for instance: Ministry of Health, UNICEF, other INGO/local NGO or UN agency)
- Take the lead in the preparation or review of MOU between MDM France and other MDM chapters
- Act as focal point for HQ and liaise in priority with the Emergency Unit
- Collaborate with HQ-based Program Support Officer to develop new internal communications products for the Mission including factsheets / brochures / leaflets / flyers, etc. for the Mission and/or projects
- Support program visibility and communication initiatives through travel to field to collect images, success stories and other communications content, as necessary
- Support program staff draft or review factsheets, presentations, articles, lessons learned documents, and any other media materials and resources as needed, for both internal and external stakeholders, as requested by the hierarchy with the help of HQ-based Program Support Officer
- Ensure that program communications activities are in line with donors’ communications and visibility guidelines as well as MdM brand guidelines
- Coordinate and facilitate communications capacity-building and learning activities in support of MdM Nigeria’s communication plan
- Develop, maintain, and promote MdM Nigeria’s visibility via prior-approved social medial platforms
- Take any other initiatives to promote MdM Nigeria visibility through production of materials / items / gadgets likes yearly calendar, pens, name tags, pins, etc.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Conditions of the Job:
- Position based in Maiduguri with regular field visits to sites of intervention or assessment.
- MdM is active in North-East Nigeria since 2016. The program is implemented around the main following components:
- Access to primary health care,
- Nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition),
- Gender based violence survivors’ treatment,
- Mental health and psychological support.
- MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa. The team is composed of around 10 expatriates and 300 national staffs.
- For now, MdM is running directly 3 clinics In Maiduguri : Garba Buzu, Kawar Maila et El Meskin.
- In Damboa, a field team has been in place since June 2017 and is running two fixed clinics in two IDP Camps (also for host population). In addition, MDM Damboa medical team is semi-remotely supporting 2 health posts (Ministry of Health) outside Damboa town in Azir and Gumzuri villages.
- Untill recently MdM’s intervention was pretty much emergency oriented, with five MdM runned clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 2 in Damboa) plus an emergency response team (ERT) for rapid resposne to sudden population displacements and cholera outbreaks. Currently the mission is shifting its logic of intervention towards a Nexus approach: ERT team doesn’t exist anymore and we are slowly shifting from substitution programming (MdM clinics) to the support to State MoH health facilities in a bid to foster sustainability.
- At the same time, a new crisis has arrisen in North-West Nigeria in link with massive banditery acts and farmers/herders conflict dynamics. Two needs assessments have been conducted by MdM teams in Zamfara State in 2021 and even though we are not planning to be operational in this area in the coming months, we keep a close eye to the developmentrs in this region and start to work on our access strategy. This could led to a scale-up in MDM’s humanitarian operations.
Training & Experience
- Higher Education (five-year Degree in International Cooperation, Humanitarian Studies, International Relations, Project Management, etc.)
- Two years experience minimum in a similar post
- Experience in multi-donors’ budgets and multi-countries grants in humanitarian and development context
- Training and capacity-building experience
- Draft narrative proposals, reports and amendment notes
- Read and understand a donor budget
- Understand specific business tools (reporting or accounting)
- Understand and identify institutional donors’ cycles and procedures (especially for GFFO, ECHO and OFDA)
- Assess the quality of documents submitted to donors according to their constraints and the constraints of the teams
- Adapt schedules according to priorities and unforeseen events
- Understand the legal aspects of a contract
- Research and select sources of information
- Summarise and present programme information
- Excellent knowledge of Windows environment (word, excel)
- English is mandatory (oral and written)
- Knowledge of country languages such as Hausa or French would be an asset
- Excellent level of communication both written and oral
- Excellent organizational skills including time management and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work under a minimun of supervision
- Flexibility, reactivity and anticipation
- Capacity to take initiatives
- Team spirit
- Able to work and live in challenging security context
Conditions of Employment
- Type of contract: CDDU
- Duration: 9 months (renewable)
- Starting date : ASAP
- Rhythm: full-time
- Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
- Analytical code: MHU338002
- Related occupation: operations technical assistant – category 4
Application Closing Date
20th January, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Other jobs you may like
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Kaduna North, Kaduna, Centre for Community Development and Research Network (CCDRN)