Job ID 11002
Experience 10 Years
Gender Male or Famele
ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Programmes
Responsible To: Director of Programmes
Line Management: Manager, Local Rights Programme, Manager Social Mobilisation & Manager, Humanitarian & Resilience, Manager Governance
Purpose of Job
- The post holder will be reporting to the Director of Programmes and be a part of the Country Management Team.
- S/he will be responsible for providing support on programme methodologies, design, implementation and evaluation of high-quality programmes and linkages from local to national and international, capacity building and training on rights-based programming skills.
- S/he will also provide strategic leadership to Local Rights Programme, Social Mobilisation, Governance and Humanitarian and Resilience units within ActionAid Nigeria.
Local Rights Programme, Social Mobilisation, Governance, Humanitarian & Resilience:
- Provide strategic leadership for the teams without necessarily taking over the role of each of the Managers
- Supervise planning in these teams in line with AAN CSP and AA international prioritises
- Ensure the development and effective implementation of policy and advocacy activities that will complement programme activities within the unit
- Proactively and creatively promote improvement in programme quality in these teams
- Identify key sector issues with regards to the six teams on which ActionAid Nigeria and its partners should focus their advocacy efforts
- Ensure that programming within the team are in line with the HRBA framework
- Provide oversight for donor contract management and donor relations in the team
- Ensure general compliance of the unit to organisational accountabilities.
- Work with Director of Programme to ensure regular meetings of the various working groups and the project steering committee.
- Directs and coordinates the policy analysis and research that provide the evidence base for our national, multi-country and/or international campaigns or programmes,
- Leads the coordination of AAN’s campaigns, Global Secretariate single campaign, programme related communications and media advocacy to achieve our objectives,
- Supports members in their development and implementation of cohesive country communications strategies
- Represent ActionAid Nigeria in relevant external meetings at all levels, building relationships with social movements and other key allies that will reinforce the impact of programmes
- Ensure the timely submission of good quality programme reports as agreed with donors or in project proposal
- Manage the evaluation of programmes both mid-term and final evaluations of all projects and programmes
- Manage the annual Participatory Review and Reflection Process
- Support the documentation and sharing of experience in all programmes within AAN, with partners and within AA
- Represent AAN in alliances and networks both within and outside Nigeria
- Ensure AAN timely submission of Plans and Reports to the Global Secretariate
- Support management of LRP portfolio income and reserve
- Support effective utilisation of funds in line with projects/programme expectations
- Ensure documents required for release of funds are submitted by dates agreed in each project.
Human Resources Management
- Identify the Human Resource needs of the team and initiate the recruitment of all such staff.
- Participate in the recruitment of all staff of the team (from short-listing to interviews).
- Participate in induction of all new staff of AAN
- Set annual targets for each staff of the Team in consultation with the staff.
- Maintain ongoing monitoring of the performance of staff against targets and ensure prompt corrective actions are taken to address performance issues.
- Appraise all staff of the team in accordance with AAN staff policies
- Ensure that staffs are equipped with skills in participatory methodologies for use in our work in Local Rights Programme, Governance, Social Mobilisation and Humanitarian and Resilience.
- Ensure partners are trained in the use of AAN methodologies at the community level.
- Develop annual staff development plans for the team, balancing staff personal development needs with organisational skills requirement.
Other Organisational Responsibilities:
- Support the sub-unit in new partner selection and periodic partnership assessments and reviews
- Represent AAN at International, national and/or state-level meetings and conferences, as appropriate and agreed with the Director of Programmes.
- Contribute extensively to AAN resource mobilisation efforts.
- Undertake other responsibilities as requested by the Country Director or Director of Programmes.
- Effectively facilitate interdependencies within and the programme Directorate and between Programme and other Directorates.
- Internal Relationships: Entire AAN Team
- External Relationships: Donors, Partners, CSOs, CBOs and FBOs.
- First Degree in Social Sciences or Arts / Humanities.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Membership of relevant professional Institute.
- A minimum of 10 years work experience
- At least 5 years experience in management position.
- Experience in International development agency
- Experience of community-based work especially working with partners
- Experience of using Human Rights Based approach (HRBA) in programming
- Experience in proposal and report writing
- Understanding of Government & CSO structures/ operations.
- Knowledge of Monitoring & Evaluation.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to recognise and exploit new fundraising opportunities.
- Strong communication and report writing skills
- Excellent programming skills
- Ability to provide practical solutions within set deadlines.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Highly numerate
- Multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrable IT skills.
- Proven Leadership Qualities
- Good interpersonal skills
- A person of integrity
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- Self motivated person able to work with minimum supervision
- Effectively promote AAN’s mission, values and objectives.
Application Closing Date
4th April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the Application Form below and send in an MS Word attachment to: Vacancy.Nigeria@actionaid.org using the Job Title and Location eg: “Head of Programmes – Abuja” as the subject of the email.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) in line with our
- Child Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse; and Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse at Work Policy and Overarching
- SHEA and Safeguarding Policy; as well as our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.