Job ID 22558
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Officer
Job ID: 230000Y8
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Employment Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 2 years (Renewable)
Team/Programme: SC Nigeria
Post Type: National, Fixed Term
- The Health Safety and Environmental Officer will work closely with the Project Director in Ibadan, The Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Officer will be responsible for identifying, assessing, and advising on risks arising from the workplace, Programme implementations etc, recommending measures to eliminate or minimise and control the risks and implementing the measures.
- He/She will lead the implementation, monitoring and reporting/documentation of HSE compliance on the ANRiN Project, and ensure all Save the Children International (SCI) Safety and Security Policy/standards/SoPs and other relevant guidelines are complied with by all staff/consultants/visitors/volunteers/vendors/beneficiaries of the ANRiN project in Oyo State.
- He/She will also be responsible for preventing or reducing health and environmental risks under the ANRiN Project while working closely to assist the HoSS, SSCo at the Country Office (CO) on the regular collection and collation of all S&S information across the project area and compute same in the system, using appropriate software and hardware.
- Safety & Security Officer and the Head of Safety and Security in the country office to provide support for the implementation of SCI programs in the ANRiN Programme Offices in Oyo.
Scope of Role
- State Team Lead (STL) – Direct
- Safety and Security Coordinator (SSCo) CO – Dotted
- Head, Safety and Security (HoSS), CO – Technical
- Staff directly reporting to this post: HSE Assistant
Key Areas of Accountability
- Ensure Health Safety and Environmental Management Systems (OHSMSs) are implemented throughout ANRiN Project lifecycle in the State.
- With guidance from the Project Director lead the implementation of general regulations, methods and processes designed to help protect staff, the environment, the public, and all SCI assets from harm.
- Collaborate with relevant units and ensure all staff and sub-contractors engaged to work on the ANRiN Project are appropriately inducted and trained on HSE measures and controls in line with SCI relevant policies;
- Prepare and deliver reports to the Project Director and Country Safety and Security team on incidents, patterns of incidents, and proposed recommendations.
- Develop and implement a training plan on occupational health and safety for all Oyo FO staff based on the identified capacity gap
- Assist the ANRiN Oyo Project teams in program trip planning by carrying out location scanning/assessment, movement tracking/records/timing prior to commencement of field activities, follow-up on travel SoPs compliance and filing of trip completion records and reporting all trip stoppages and hitches for immediate follow-up.
- Ensure that adequate HSE measures, procedures and work instructions as applicable are prepared, reviewed, approved and implemented prior to and during commencement of field outreach programs
- Responsible for administration and reporting of breathalyser use and other HSS checks on the drivers daily and periodically.
- Lead the preparation of Health, Safety and Security related reports.
- Monitor Fleet activities and report on all breaches.
- Report non-conformance of HSE Protocols to project Director and ensure corrective and preventive action is taken
- Carry out any other duty/responsibilities assigned by the STL, SSO and the HoSS aimed at effective HSE management in the Nigerian Country Office.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class function
- Future-orientated thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills and Behaviours
- Information Gathering and analysis using good knowledge of management practice and technologies used in the sector.
- Basic understanding of INGOs programming.
- Basic knowledge of Fraud and criminal investigation procedures and methods.
- Critical thinking and excellent logical skills.
- Strong proficiency in the use of Office programs like word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Nose-for-news’ and ability to spot flaws in systems.
- Have good communication and presentations skills.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Master’s Degree level qualifications in any of Humanities or Sciences and Security Management.
- Certification in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE).
- At least Five years work experience performing HSE functions in International NGO, CBO’S and other relevant institutions will be an added advantage.
- Ability to understand the changing environment, and to anticipate developments, opportunities, threats, and weaknesses in order to project a clear pathway forward for the project
- Experience in safeguards assessment, planning and implementation and safeguarding capacity development WB-funded or other donor funded projects.
- Strong learning attitude and capacity for learning and development of technical and professional skills.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an internationally diverse environment.
- Strong Competency in Internet and Microsoft Office systems and other database/mapping systems
- Ability to work in multicultural environment and be a good team member.
- Ability to work effectively, take initiative and deliver results, even under pressure, and willing to visit sites in remote areas
- Fluency in English and any other Nigerian local languages
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online