Job ID 10643
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this.
We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Affairs Officer
Employment Type: Contract
Contract End Date: 31st Dec 2022 (with possibility of Renewal)
Duty Station: MSF OCA, Sokoto Project
Main Objective and Responsibility
- Contribute to the development of humanitarian affairs activities in the Mission by supporting the Management Coordination Team in the analysis of context, humanitarian situation, security and in the definition of advocacy strategies, according to MSF policies and values, in order to improve the humanitarian and human rights situation among population.
- Perform data collection and research concerning local and international context, with regards to security, medical, nutritional and humanitarian issues, in order to provide reliable information for further decision-making.
- Support the Head of Mission and field coordinators in the analysis of the data collected, in order to better orientate the programmes and projects, to provide an optimal response to population needs.
- Compile regular updates of the ongoing (inter-)national activities and plans of NGO’s, UN, ICRC, donors, authorities and other actors on lobby, policy and operational plans and initiatives in order to adequate MSF ’s activities and objectives.
- Collaborate with the HoM, the Operational/Humanitarian Affairs Department at HQ and other relevant parties to develop a coherent global strategy, in order to address the humanitarian situation.
- Define and review messages, tools, lobbying activities and other advocacy action plans and strategies, in order to raise all humanitarian issues in the mission and seek assistance and protection to affected population.
- Ensure smooth working relationship with local authorities, other NGO’s, local communities and other factors, in order to facilitate MSF teams a better access to the population and improve MSF activities’ coordination with third parties.
- Organize discussions, trainings, briefings, etc. about human rights and humanitarian law issues and current and future advocacy activities, in order to raise awareness of MSF staff regarding these matters.
- Participates in the elaboration and updating of the Country Risk Analysis
- Promotes and assists in the implementation of advocacy activities locally, nationally and internationally.
- Supervises humanitarian affairs related staff in the Mission.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
Orientation / Informationl:
- Informs the PC and/or PMR and Deputy PC about issues of access to healthcare services and any humanitarian needs assistance.
- In collaboration with PC Assistant, contributes to updating contacts list of relevant stakeholders/actors in the project with names, telephones, addresses and any other relevant details.
Data Collection, Context Analysis and Liaising with Stakeholders:
- Scan and gain sound understanding of Humanitarian situation and actors in Sokoto, Zamfara and neighboring states of Northwestern (NW) region as well as monitoring of services availability and delivery for urban communities in project operation areas
- Support the mission in gaining a better understanding of food insecurity in the NW and the challenges that people face, including in accessing health/nutrition services and the impact of insecurity and displacement
- Liaise with other NGOs, UN agencies, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and local authorities regarding humanitarian situations, services and support available to facilitate access to services for patients and vulnerable person as needed.
- Support on establishing and identifying referral pathways and following up on the humanitarian referral outcomes of patients
- Participate in various coordination field meetings.
- Collaborate closely with the medical team in humanitarian needs exploration and reporting when necessary
- Targeted data collection in line with MSF core standards, collect information from patients’ background and stories, main protection challenges, access to basic needs and healthcare services and summarizes the reports for advocacy use. In the event of survey or humanitarian assessment, s/he carries out and/or support interviews.
- Ensures analysis and contextualization of collected data including of red flags, medical/surveillance data, and gaps/needs assessment
Outreach & Community Engagement:
- In collaboration with PC Assist, proposes and continuously engage with the Noma ambassadors as well initiates and participate in project advocacy
- In support of project coordination, s/he liaises with communities’ leaderships and other actors with focus on services for Noma disease services and to contribute to identification of other medical/humanitarian needs and reaching out to other actors to respond to vulnerable populations needs.
Advocacy and Reporting:
- In support of operations, contributes to organizing advocacy contacts and meetings with local partners to ensure continuity of effective relations and information flow between MSF and humanitarian actors
- Ensures information gathering, analysis and interpretation on the state and regional situations on humanitarian issues and activities of NGOs to inform and improve MSF operational decision making and response
- Participate in defining advocacy messages and strategies and promote and assist in the implementation of advocacy activities
- Initiate and/or participate in project advocacy written material and when needed, supports on communication pieces, when needed and may be involved in identifying potential staff for interviews, potential patient case stories and other communications requested
- Essential Degree in Law, Humanitarian Affairs, Political Sciences or related University Degree.
- Essential previous working experience of at least two years in research, analysis and advocacy
- Essential experience with MSF or other NGOs.
- Desirable working experience in developing countries
- Mission language essential. Local language desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Commitment to MSF Principles, Result & Quality Orientation, Teamwork & Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility, Stress Management
Application Closing Date
18 March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization