Job ID 26440
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Procurement Officer
Vacancy No.: 042
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, PEACECORE
GIZ. Solutions that work.
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector, and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- The transitional development assistance (TDA) project “Strengthening capacities for peacebuilding and conflict resolution in Central Nigeria” financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) aims to strengthen conditions for a de-escalation of violent conflict in Plateau State in Central Nigeria.
- Conflicts have escalated in recent years, and the displacement and insecurity this causes negatively impact on agricultural and livestock farming. Value chains are disrupted, and the rural population’s self -sufficiency capacities are diminished.
- In support to the de-escalation and prevention of conflict, the project works to promote peaceful coexistence, inclusive peacebuilding and conflict transformation processes, poverty reduction, sustainable livelihoods and food security. The project has a duration of 4 years (until 09/2023) and pursues a participatory and inclusive approach. Actual needs of target groups inform project activities.
- The project focuses on three components that are implemented together with local and international partners:
- Enhancement of capacities of state and civil society actors in Plateau State to de-escalate conflict.
- Strengthening an environment for conflicting parties to resume (traditional) trade and exchange relationships.
- Development of an impact and context monitoring that provides an informed decision-making basis for local decision-makers and development cooperation projects for a context-sensitive planning and implementation of activities
Responsibilities and Task
The Junior Procurement Officer provides support in:
- Dealing with all questions arising in this area
- Identifying relevant problems and issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented solutions
- Further developing instruments and assisting in introducing innovation and change
- Managing knowledge by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information.
- In accordance with GIZ regulations and possibly in consultation with Head Office, assists with local procurement of materials and equipment, invitations to tender and order processing
- Maintains data relevant for procurement and tenders in prosoft
- Assists with checking invoices for goods, vouchers, payment instructions and complaints
- Assists with the safe transport of goods to destination
- Assists with processing claims for damage to goods
- Documents and files completed order transactions in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules
- Supports with the inventory of the project
- Assists in processing customs declaration procedures (duty-free import of goods, entering information in customs declaration database, producing statistics)
- Assists with checking ship consignments
- Assists with monitoring clearing of goods
- Assists with organising and coordinating collection of goods
- Participates in the entire process of vehicle registration (initial registration and documentation of both private and official vehicles, tax and insurance issues with project vehicles), new registrations and insurance
- Assists in forwarding registration and insurance papers to the responsible project/programme staff
- Assists with processing accident insurance claims against local and German insurance companies, in cooperation with GIZ head office
- Provides input to information for GIZ staff in the country on customs issues for private goods, vehicle registration and insurance for private cars, and the GIZ office service package for outward travel
- Participates in tenders, in concluding service agreements, and in the purchase of materials and equipment, advises the officer responsible for the contract and cooperation, and participates in entering into and processing financial agreements
- Organises distribution of office funds and other office supplies
Other duties/additional tasks:
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management with a focus on Finance, Controlling, Purchasing or Contract Management or similar area is preferred
- Not more than 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- GIZ experience will be an advantage.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Outstanding working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Very good English speaking and writing skills
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 3
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: email@example.com using “Vacancy no.: 042” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted