Job ID 34423
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Location: Abakaliki, Ebonyi
Contract Period: Fixed Term (November 2023 to April 2024)
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, organizing and carrying out laboratory activities and supervising the laboratory staff according to MSF protocols, security measures and hygiene standards, in order to support the MSF medical team in the diagnosis of patients’ diseases.
- Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
- Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
- Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, haematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology …) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
- Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc. In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
- In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab related activities in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control.
- Supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, coaching, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues / problems related to laboratory personnel and / or the material used.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Provide technical support to any designated counterparts supported by MSF
- Implement on-site capacity-building trainings to standardise laboratory related Standards of Procedure (SOP) according to the project’s medical strategy.
- Ensure SOPs for Lassa Fever (LF) detection are standardised across all MSF supported facilities.
- Develop (or adapt) any necessary SOPs for LF sample collection, storage and transportation according to the working context.
- Secure IPC standards throughout the process of sample collection, transporation and processing.
- Strengthen communication with counterparts to secure sample transportation and processing is done following international and national standards.
- Support any laboratory-related data collection and analysis in collaboration with data officers and/or supervisors.
- Propose incentive-free alternatives that can strengthen collaboration with counterparts
- Follow-up on laboratory supply stock to avoid any potential ruptures or general misuse in all MSF supportedfacilities.
- Design any necessary forms or registers needed for sample collection follow-up.
- Support laboratory facilities in case of HR gaps (only when these pose a threat to delay sample processing).
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Essential Degree as Laboratory Technician
- Medical Laboratory Science degree is desirable but not essential
- Essential 2-year experience in a laboratory, preferably as a Lab Tech.
- Desirable in MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical laboratory
- Local language and mission language essential
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Results,Teamwork,Flexibility,Commitment,People Management,Stress management
Application Closing Date
18th October, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- Candidates should submit their application including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant degrees, certificates by filling the google form using the link above
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Dual Employment is considered gross misconduct as contained in MSF Belgium Internal Regulations (IR) guideline and hence not acceptable.
- Applications should be sent through the indicated channel (email/hardcopy) containing the right subject, meeting all requirements, else application will not be entertained.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next steps.
- MSF reserves the right to cancel any step or whole of the recruitment process at any stage.
- Vacacy is open to Nigerians