Job ID 4502
Experience 3 Years
Gender Male or Famele
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Livelihoods Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: National Contract
- DRC is seeking a committed and competent Livelihoods Officer to join the Borno Programme. Interested persons will be reporting to the Team Leader.
- The overall purpose of the role is to facilitate the implementation of DRC’s Food Security and Livelihoods programme in Borno State through liaising with stakeholders and integrating with other departments.
- Support in enhancing the livelihoods of beneficiaries through the provision of information, business skills training, business support, Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA), Nutrition trainings and agricultural interventions.
- The main duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
Supporting CVA, SME Development, Agricultural Inputs Distributions and Nutrition Activities:
- Ensure beneficiaries are screened, selected and verified through use of developed targeting criteria in operational areas.
- Facilitate the implementation of CVA mainly but not limited to Unconditional Cash Grants, Conditional Cash Grants, Cash for Work, Vouchers and Business Grants in the operational areas through liaison with line manager.
- Ensure monthly cash distributions conducted in the operational areas through ensuring beneficiaries are verified, registered and sensitized.
- Manage cash distribution process and ensure minimum standards are met.
- Facilitate the implementation of agricultural production, small business development, financial inclusion and complementary nutrition programming through liaison with line manager.
- Assist beneficiaries in the establishment of home gardens/poultry production and continued support throughout the project timeframe.
- Work with line manager to plan for agricultural inputs distributions and ensuring inputs distributed accountably.
- Work closely with Ministry of Agriculture Extension workers in facilitating vegetable farming/poultry production trainings for beneficiaries.
- Organize small business training and business planning activities with beneficiaries.
- Provide information to beneficiaries about livelihood and business development opportunities.
- Provide livelihood guidance, on an individual or group basis, to increase beneficiaries’ awareness of different business options based on market assessment and beneficiary interests.
- Conduct training and sensitisation activities related to complementary nutrition activities.
- Supervision of nutrition related activities such as trainings, malnutrition monitoring and screening, referral pathways and reporting.
- Supervision of community volunteers implementing Nutrition, Agro-based Programmes, Cash for Work and other livelihood initiatives
- Coordinate in Planning, supervising and monitoring training, awareness and sensitisation activities, including maintenance and verification of all supporting documentation and activities (e.g. pre- and post-tests).
- Support the organization of trainings and other events related to the project.
- Submit weekly reports and contribute to compilation of the monthly report and submit to line manager.
- Assist in Maintaining records of all activities, in order to complete timely reports for DRC and for external actors, including donors.
- Assist the livelihoods Team Leader in project documentation.
- Any other duties assigned by line manager.
- Support the Livelihoods Team Leader to enhance capacity of Livelihood Assistants.
- Coordination of Ward level stakeholders in consultation with line manager.
- Ensure that protocol is followed through stakeholder consultation at all stages of project implementation.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Work closely with the monitoring team on monitoring and evaluation tools for livelihoods activities in coordination with the M & E team
- Facilitate the qualitative and quantitative monitoring of projects through team meetings, post-assistance visits, regular reporting and any other monitoring tools.
- Participate in internal evaluations of programmes.
- If requested by the Livelihoods Program Manager represent DRC in livelihood working groups and interagency planning workshops.
- Represent, and where necessary, advocate on behalf of DRC with local authorities.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education, Experience and Technical Competencies (include years of experience)
(include certificates, licenses etc.)
- University Degree in Agriculture, Social Sciences, Economics, Business Studies, Languages or any other related field
- Experience in Livelihood Programming and trainings.
- At least 2 years working experience in Cash and Voucher Assistance Programming is required
- Experience of humanitarian work with displaced populations in Borno, Adamawa or Yobe is essential
- Knowledge of North-East Nigeria context
- Good IT skills (especially Ms. Office)
- At least 3 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating WASH projects.
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills – self-motivated individuals, able to take initiative and propose solutions, resilient, positive, and able to work independently
- Ability and willingness to work in insecure environments
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
(indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
(Internal and External)
- Other programme staff
- Relevant stakeholders
- Other NGOs
Salary and Conditions
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws.
- The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
6th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent / received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.