Job ID 8194
Experience 9 Years
Gender Male or Famele
Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) is an indigenous non-governmental organization that promotes socio-economic development by supporting a broad range of global health interventions, education, and economic initiatives in Nigeria. AHNi is an allied organization to Family Health International (FHI360) with co-existing and mutually supportive interest in advancing the collective goals of the people and communities served. AHNi currently has its headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Managing Director
Job Category: Fixed Term
- Under the direction of the Board of Trustees, the Managing Director will provide overall leadership in support of AHNi’s strategic plan, mission, values, goals, and objectives.
- S/he will provide strategic leadership and managerial oversight of the administrative, programmatic, technical, financial, and operational aspects of AHNi’s portfolio including technical leadership; team management and mentoring; donor, government, and partner liaison; new business development; and oversight of financial management and reporting.
- S/he will lead AHNi sustainability efforts in the country.
- S/he will be responsible for program planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the interventions implemented by AHNi and its partners.
- S/he will be accountable for stewardship of all resources as well as the well-being and safety of AHNi staff.
- The Managing Director will coordinate, manage, and increase visibility and funding for AHNi programs, while ensuring compliance with organizational policies, procedures and applicable donor, Federal and State level statutory requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Chairman of the Board to fulfill relevant governance functions and facilitates the quarterly briefing of the Board on organizational performance.
- With the Board Chair, focuses Board attention on long-range strategic issues.
- Ensures the filing of all legal and regulatory documents and monitors compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Manages the Board’s due diligence processes to ensure timely attention to core issues.
- Identifies problems and opportunities and addresses them; brings those which are appropriate to the Board and/or its committees for discussion and deliberation.
- Informs the Board and its committees about trends, issues, problems, and activities to facilitate policymaking. Recommends policy positions.
Management and administration:
- Provides general oversight of all AHNi activities and manages the day-to-day operations.
- Ensures program quality and organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, systems and procedures, and regular evaluation.
- Ensures that relevant systems and institutional capacity are in place to assure the quality and sustainability of deliverables.
- Ensures a work environment that attracts, retains, and supports quality staff.
- Ensures processes and systems for selecting, developing, motivating, and evaluating staff are followed and are reviewed periodically.
- Ensures appropriate workplace policies affecting the welfare of staff are observed to ensure fairness and equity.
- Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to established personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.
- Oversees the fiscal activities of the organization including budgeting, auditing, financial analysis and reporting, capital asset and property management, procurement, grants management and payroll administration in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Promotes programs and services that are produced in a cost-effective manner, employing economy while maintaining an acceptable level of quality.
- Works with the Board to ensure the budget supports short- and long-term goals.
- Ensures adequate internal controls are in place to protect AHNi’s financial and non-monetary assets and to ensure that resources are used in accordance with donor terms and conditions.
- Reviews and implements internal and external audit recommendations.
- Ensures the AHNi’s operations are conducted in accordance with all statutory and tax requirements.
- Ensures an effective business development program to support strategic goals and objectives and to ensure AHNi’s financial viability.
- Develops a strategic plan informed by resource requirements to identify, secure, and grow new funding opportunities for the organization’s portfolio.
- Oversees implementation of the strategic plan, including researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals, and administering fundraising records and documentation.
- Leads collaboration with relevant programs, grants, management, and other staff in pursuing new business opportunities and partnerships with bilateral donors, multilateral donors, foundations, private sector, and others.
- Serves as the chief advocate within the public and private sectors for issues relevant to AHNi, its programs and services.
- Serves as chief spokesperson for AHNi in stakeholder meetings, ensuring the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image.
- Initiates, develops, and maintains cooperative relationships with key stakeholders to promote the mandate of AHNi.
- Ensures strong cooperation and collaboration with partners, donors, government, and other key stakeholders as a base for building, maintaining, and expanding a sustainable country and regional program.
- Liaises as appropriate with FHI 360, USAID Country Mission, and other donor institutions, international organizations, and relevant government agencies to ensure effective coordination with and participation in project development and implementation.
- Ensures consistent program monitoring and reporting in compliance with donor requirements, including programmatic reports and quality assurance reports.
- Ensures appropriate technical, programmatic, financial and resource development support to programs.
- Ensures program quality according to set standards including quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- PhD or similar Degree with 9 years relevant experience in international development programs, with at least 6 years of relevant management experience at the executive level.
- MS / MA Degree in Social Science, Public Heath or related field, MPH preferred, and a minimum of 11 years relevant experience in international development programs, with at least 6 years relevant management experience.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector development systems (especially, health, education, etc.), international donor organization regulations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a suitability statement (Application) and Resume (CV) as a single MS Word document to: AHNi-MDJob@ahnigeria.org using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only applications sent electronically (i.e., by e-mail) with the job title and location clearly indicated as the subject of the mail will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- AHNi is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Disclaimer: AHNi does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview