Job ID 1595
Experience 2 Years
Gender Male or Famele
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Officer
Organizational Unit: COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment Centre
IOM Classification: Hourly
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Hourly Contract (On Call)
Estimated Start Date: As Soon as Possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and under direct technical supervision of the COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment Centre, the successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day clinical activities of the COVID-19 Isolation and treatment Centre in Abuja.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Undertake day-to-day clinical duties at the COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment Center.
- Support follow up and tracking of positive cases and direct contacts.
- Determine and facilitate laboratory services required by the patients admitted at the Isolation and Treatment Center.
- Coordinate with other clinical team members and consultants in the case management of the patients admitted at the Center.
- Evaluate and monitor management of each patient admitted at the Center from the time the patient is admitted until the patient is discharged. Keep a complete record of the medical condition/complications and medical intervention/treatment given to each patient admitted to the Center.
- Support supervision of nurses and other support staff working at the centre.
- Participate in the shift roster for the clinical team to ensure coverage of the centre at any given day and time.
- Support preparation of reports on the operation of the Center.
- Support monitoring of consumables to ensure sufficient stock at any given time;
- Perform any other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in Medicine – MBChB from an accredited academic institution with two years of continuous professional working experience preferably in epidemiology and public health; or
- Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Mandatory valid registration license with the National Medical Board
- Mandatory valid certificate in BLS and ALS within in the past 2 years..
- Clinical experience progressively responsible in one of the areas of medicine including residency/internship in one of the medical specialties, preferably internal medicine, ICU, or family medicine with relevant experience in emergency room or ICU.
- Experience working on health crisis issues and management of infectious diseases.
- Previous experience in humanitarian crisis and infectious diseases is highly desirable.
- Experience working in COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment Centre is highly desirable.
- Proven experience of a minimum of six month at an Intensive Care Unit in the past 5 years is highly desirable
- Skills in project or programme management, administration, international relations, or related area.
- Experience in drafting reports, statements and briefing materials for senior management is required
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the position applied on the subject line.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2021.11. Abuja Medical Officer.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.