Job ID 24347
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Population Media Center Nigeria is an organization that uses media to create awareness and educate people about various issues that affect their lives, such as reproductive health, family planning, gender equity, and child survival. They work in collaboration with local partners to develop entertaining and informative radio and TV programs that reach a wide audience. Through their innovative approach, they aim to improve the lives of individuals and communities in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer
Location: Gwarinpa, Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports To: Country Director
- The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer, under the supervision of the Country Director, oversees and coordinates all data related activities for PMC’s programming in Nigeria. Starting this as a part-time position with the possibility of extending to full-time given the availability of funds.
- S/he will assist Country Director in development of budget and work plans for all research activities during the life of the projects.
- S/he will also work closely with Technical Research Unit (TRU) at Population Media Center (PMC) to ensure that in-country research meets the specifications required by the project and its partners.
- TRU will support the MEL Officer by drafting a MEL plan to guide all data collection, analysis, and reporting activities over the life of the project. The MEL Officer will ensure the MEL plan is implemented in conjunction with TRU, Country Director, and contracted local research firms.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With the assistance of TRU develop research protocols for review by appropriate ethical review boards/institutional review boards (IRB) as written in project MEL plan.
- Assist the Finance Officer to monitor research expenses as per project budgets, and report these to the Director in a timely manner.
- Assist in proposal development and budget estimation for research activities, as needed.
- Determine the timeline for all research activities and ensure that research activities are implemented in timely fashion.
- Maintain complete records of broadcast schedules, location of broadcast partners (i.e., GIS coordinates of radio antennas), and updates to key project documents such as the values grid or logical framework.
- Ensure project staff follow ethical procedures for all data collection efforts, including documentation of informed consent for interviews, success stories, and other data collection efforts.
- Schedule and lead monthly check-in calls with TRU (and other staff, if needed) to share MEL plan implementation progress, successes, and emerging challenges.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Reporting:
- Gather, compile, and analyze data from relevant social media platforms, in conjunction with local Marketing & Communications Unit (MarComm) officer (or other party responsible for social media) and then integrate findings into routine MEL and reports.
- Lead data collection tool design and personally collect and analyze data for small surveys, stakeholder interviews, with support from TRU.
- Manage digital surveys (using KoBoCollect or similar) for quantitative data collection efforts, including creating surveys, testing skip patterns, planning for translation, ensuring GIS data can be collected, and pre-testing digital forms before launch, with support from TRU.
- Provide oversight, feedback, and technical expertise to contracted local research firms hired for situation analyses, formative audience research, monitoring surveys, and/or evaluation research.
- Monitor progress of all research contracts and assure that TRU receives data, technical reports and any relevant deliverable according to the terms of the contract.
- Accompany contracted local research firms during research activities to monitor research progress, document research activities, and ensure quality control of data collection.
Research Study Design:
- Assist TRU in developing terms of reference for in-country research activities (under the guidance of PMC Director of Research, Evaluation, and Impact) and ensure study objectives, sampling approach, deliverable(s) format, and deadlines are all complete and clear.
- Assist TRU in reviewing and evaluating proposals from in-country research firms
- Work with TRU and contracted local research firms to develop instruments for qualitative, quantitative, and participatory research.
- Collaborate with PMC’s International Projects staff to align evaluation survey instruments with drama content (e.g., triggers, transitions, storylines, and epilogues) to increase specificity of measures for key project indicators.
- Serve as the local point of contact for required approval procedures (such as ethical/IRB) for all research activities conducted in-country.
- Write reports and communicate evaluation research findings to local donors and other stakeholders, with support from TRU.
- Work with the local MarComm officer or MarComm staff at PMC headquarters to prepare fact sheets, presentations, and Listener Testimonials about the project in for donors, partners, and the public.
- Support proposal efforts led by Program and Partnership Development (PPD) staff and Country Director by providing relevant data and maps.
- Maintain a library of all relevant project datasets, reports, analysis files, GIS maps, surveys, research protocols, etc., and share these documents when they are needed.
- Ensure that all records for a given data collection activity (i.e., protocol, survey tools, consent and assent scripts, dataset, data dictionaries, etc.) are filed according to PMC and donor policies.
- Other duties as assigned as assigned by Country Director or TRU staff from PMC headquarters.
- Advanced Degree in Social Science, Public Health, International Development or a related field preferred.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in project design, performance monitoring, and/or evaluation for international development projects required; 5-7+ years preferred.
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and presentation skills required.
- Superior skills working with Microsoft Office, particularly editing documents in Microsoft Word and data analysis and chart creation in Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency in using statistical analysis software (Excel required; R or SPSS preferred).
- Knowledge of GIS mapping (QGIS) and qualitative coding and analysis (Dedoose) preferred.
- Ability to create and manage complex digital surveys (in KoBo Collect, ONA, ODK, SurveyCTO, etc.) required.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria up to 20% time.
- Prior experience with non-governmental organization strongly preferred.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.
- Ability to work effectively in team-oriented and multi-cultural environment.
- Effective time management skills.
- Flexibility to work long hours, when required.
- Commitment to reproductive health and related social and health goals.
N500,000 – N1,000,000 Monthly.
Application Closing Date
10th April, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.