Job ID 31206
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Nurse
Employment Type: Contract
Mission and Main Activities
- Oversee the overall well-being of the child and promptly address various medical issues. Detect and respond swiftly to critical medical concerns in children, promptly notifying the physician of serious cases.
- These include conditions like hypo- or hyperthermia, tachycardia, arrhythmia, respiratory distress syndrome, dehydration, diarrhea, vomiting, refusal to eat, severe anemia, edema, wounds, and pain.
- Regularly assess vital signs according to the child’s condition and record all findings, including temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, saturation, diarrhea, vomiting, edema, etc., on the monitoring sheet.
- Continuously monitor and revise the rehydration protocol for dehydrated children.
- Administer necessary treatments as required.
- Medication Preparation and Administration:
- Prepare prescribed medications, adhering to specified dosages.
- Prior to administering medications, verify the card number and the child’s bracelet for accuracy.
- Employ aseptic nursing techniques to ensure the child’s safety and well-being.
- Create a conducive environment by calling the child and ensuring comfort for both the mother and child during treatment.
- Administer prepared medications by crushing tablets and diluting them with a small quantity of water.
- Ensure the child consumes the complete prescribed dose. If vomiting occurs within 10 to 15 minutes post-administration, re-administer the same dose.
- When administering injections, adhere to precise injection site guidelines and employ rigorous aseptic techniques.
- Maintain accurate record-keeping by documenting the injection procedure on the processing sheet.
- Administer and regularly update the appropriate quantity of Résomal (or ORS for infants and moderately malnourished children) in accordance with the established protocol.
Fluid Infusions and Transfusions:
- Regularly assess and adjust flow rates for infusions and transfusions every 15 minutes as needed.
- Adhere to established protocols for monitoring blood transfusions and infusions, promptly reporting any irregularities.
- Document fluid administration on the child’s monitoring sheet.
Dressing and External Care:
- Perform dressing changes following nursing protocols.
- Ensure proper placement and care of nasogastric tubes (SNGs), with daily attention and replacement every 3 days.
- Maintain strict hygiene and universal precautions during care.
- Consult children in different phases, including intensive care, and follow consultation schedules.
Clinical Examination and Care Decision:
- Conduct thorough head-to-toe clinical examinations, considering medical history, treatment, and weight trends.
- Make informed decisions based on observed signs and symptoms, respecting national protocols.
- Determine necessary laboratory tests, monitoring frequency, treatment adjustments, and potential consultations with the doctor.
- Evaluate the need for dietary changes following national nutritional guidelines.
Nutritional Monitoring and Management:
- Monitor children’s nutritional status and understand admission, referral, transfer, and exit criteria as per national protocols.
- Calculate target weight using Z scores and validate weight curve accuracy.
- Inform mothers about their child’s progress and provide explanations about the care process.
- Oversee morning weighing sessions and guide diet changes while adhering to nutritional protocols.
- Supervise nutritional assistants and ensure adherence to meal and hygiene guidelines.
Hygiene and Equipment Oversight:
- Maintain hygiene standards in different care areas, including ICU and Pediatric Ward.
- Verify drug availability and equipment integrity.
- Ensure proper equipment storage and maintenance, reporting damages as needed.
- Conduct daily checks of resuscitation equipment in the emergency room and update missing items.
Patient Education and Comfort:
- Educate mothers about children’s care procedures and provide reassurance during treatments.
- Participate in health education for companions, emphasizing proper food and hygiene practices.
- Assist mothers with care when necessary to support their understanding.
Team Communication and Handover:
- Facilitate smooth transitions between teams through effective oral and written handovers.
- Provide comprehensive oral handovers during team changes, addressing specific child concerns with the relief nurse.
- Document all significant events during the shift in written handover reports.
- Maintain cleanliness and order in the care environment, ensuring proper equipment storage and sanitation at the end of each service.
Team Leadership and Care Oversight:
- Lead and motivate nurse aids and hygienists on a daily basis, ensuring optimal performance and adherence to care standards.
- Provide formal and informal staff training, in coordination with hierarchical referents, to enhance team competence and skills.
- Maintain oversight of care quality to ensure consistently high standards.
Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting:
- Actively engage in monitoring and reporting medical activities, including accurate completion of patient records, forms, statistics, and reports.
- Offer insightful analysis of gathered statistics to contribute to informed decision-making.
- Facilitate effective communication by ensuring correct information transfer to the next service team.
Timely Problem Reporting:
- Swiftly communicate any service-related issues, including medical facility loss, theft, or damage, to the technical referent for immediate resolution.
Adaptability and Assigned Tasks:
- Undertake additional tasks as directed by the direct supervisor, aligning with the position’s objectives and contributing to overall effectiveness.
Experience and Requirements
- Essential: recognize Nursing Diploma / Degree
- Essential: Registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria
- Essential: 2 years experience in a similar position in a Medical organization preferably INGO
- Previous experience as Nurse with ALIMA or another INGO is desirable
- Fluency in Hausa is essential.
- Oral and written English language are mandatory.
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork, active listening, and effective communication skills
- Cultural competency and patient advocacy
- Ability to work on initiative and adaptability to changing needs and situations
- Ability to work under pressure and calm in emergency situations.
Application Closing Date
25th August, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the position as the subject of the email.
Other jobs you may like
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Kaduna North, Kaduna, Centre for Community Development and Research Network (CCDRN)