Job ID 25348
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow, Plantain Breeder
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Duty Station: Ibadan, Nigeria
The Postdoctoral Fellow, Plantain Breeder will:
- Support and contribute to IITA’s overall Musa breeding strategy as part of the Accelerated Breeding Initiative.
- In conjunction with banana breeding efforts in East Africa, organize and conduct IITA plantain breeding activities in Nigeria and develop new varieties in accordance with the target product profiles (desirable traits such as end-user preferences, disease, and pest resistance, and higher yields).
- Accelerate plantain breeding by improved phenotyping, introducing molecular tools, reducing cycle length.
- Increase seed set by conducting research on floral biology.
- Drive the adoption and application of data-driven decision-making for trait improvement and other breeding optimization efforts in the plantain pipeline.
- Liaise with the CGIAR-NARS networks in the West and Central Africa regions for product profile development, advanced testing, and release of high-value plantain hybrids.
- Represent the breeding program to internal and external stakeholders.
- Support integration of breeding efforts across disciplines.
- Supervise junior-level plantain breeding staff in Nigeria.
- Support PhD and MSc research linked to plantain breeding.
- Organize communication and dissemination undertakings, report and publish breeding results in international peer-reviewed and open-access journals
- Support resource mobilization efforts on plantain breeding and related research.
- Maintain effective partnerships with CGIAR centers, National Agricultural Research and Extension Systems, and Advanced Research Institutes involved in plantain breeding and related projects.
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should have a Ph.D. in Plant Breeding, Quantitative Genetics or a related field or demonstrated skills in plant breeding.
- Proficiency in experimental design and statistical analysis of breeding data.
- Demonstrated ability to publish high-quality articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience in the breeding of perennial crops is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of marker analysis is an added advantage
- Knowledge of cytology is an added advantage.
- Working experience in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams would be a great asset.
- The contract will be for an initial period of two years.
- IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications must include covering letter, which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources Service.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.