Job ID 33523
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer (Coordination and Programme Management Support)
Employment Type: Full Time
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The overall objective of the programme is to maximize the development potential of free movement of persons and safe, orderly and regular migration in West Africa in the context of the regional integration process.
- This second phase of the FMM programme will build on the success of the previous EU-funded support toward implementing ECOWAS migration-related policies and frameworks and improve migration governance in the region through a multi-stakeholder consortium implementation modality comprised of the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) and the International Labour Organization (ILO), under the lead of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
- This five-year programme will be implemented at regional, national and local levels within ECOWAS Member States (MS) and Mauritania, with the main objective of effectively implementing the ECOWAS Free Movement Protocol and the ECOWAS Common Approach on Migration.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the functioning of the programme governance and management structures by providing technical assistance on the implementation of migration policy related activities of the programme to the ECOWAS Directorate of Free Movement of Persons, Migration & Tourism, in accordance with programme’s workplan;
- Facilitate the secretariat of the Migration Dialogue for West Africa (MIDWA), promote the active role of its working groups and encourage its expertise and activities in the ECOWAS sub-regional development cooperation frameworks;
- Promote ECOWAS and MIDWA’s engagement in international migration related frameworks such as the Global Compact for Migration (GCM), Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD), among others;
- Support the implementation, in coordination with the Consortium partners and Member States, of the programme’s policy and migration management, border management and Free Movement components, as well as Information and sensitization activities;
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation frameworks and activities are carried out to support the overall follow-up of related activities, results and objectives of the programme and ensure the timely submission of narrative and financial reports, in accordance with the provisions of the contribution agreement signed between Consortium Partners and the EU;
- Ensure regular liaison between IOM, ECOWAS Free Movement Directorate, Committee for Programme Steering and Coordination (CPSC), EU Delegation (EUD) in Abuja, other ECOWAS Directorates and Member states, and relevant programme stakeholders;
- Facilitate trainings on the Free Movement Protocol and ECOWAS to Member States and key governmental and non-governmental actors;
- Ensure synergies between FMM II and other programs related to free movement of persons and mobility to maximize impact and avoid duplication of efforts;
- Promote and contribute to integrating and mainstreaming gender, protection, human rights and other pertinent cross-cutting issues into programme implementation.
- Maintain flexibility to take on added responsibility as and when needed, in close coordination with the Director of Free Movement of Persons and Migration;
- Should be capable of undertaking frequent travels within the sub-region.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Law, Development Studies, Migration Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in similar positions of progressive responsibility;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with Government and Non-Governmental counterparts, international organizations, civil society and/or private sector entities;
- Experience in coordinating complex inter-agency programmes and engaging with multiple partners and stakeholders;
- Experience liaising with regional bodies, governmental authorities, diplomatic missions and other international/national institutions;
- Experience in working with migration management related issues (policy, donor liaison, protection, labour mobility and/or social inclusion);
- Previous work experience on migration-related programmes or projects in the Africa’s Regional Economic Communities (RECs) is an advantage; and,
- Previous work experience in the West African Region is an advantage.
- Ability to take responsibility for actions and results, to manage constructive criticism and to propose solutions to problems;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues, clients (CSOs, UN Agencies, among others) and stakeholders (including Government Officials) from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; exceptional interpersonal skills, a focused listener;
- High level of computer literacy (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Ability to independently carry out tasks;
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritize required;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Knowledge of UN, ECOWAS and Bilateral donor programming; and
- Understanding of the continental integration architecture in Africa and the role of Regional Economic Communities (RECs) is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
30th October, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online