Job ID 3669
Experience 2 Years
Gender Male or Famele
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer (WASH / Hygiene Promotion and Community Engagement)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Posting period: From 08.04.2021 to 21.04.2021
- Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified femalecandidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For allIOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are consideredbefore those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection
Process for the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first – tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the non-represented member states:
- Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba;Fiji; Gabon; Guinea – Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom ofEswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia;Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe;Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor – Leste; Tonga;Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second – tier candidates includes:
- All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states
- Working under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Maiduguri and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (WASH), the successful candidate will provide technical support for the planning, coordination and implementation of hygiene promotion and community engagement in IOM’s Emergency WASH Response in North East Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Contribute to the implementation of the overall hygiene promotion, community engagement and behavior change strategy for efficient delivery of hygiene and health promotion activities.
- Coordinate the implementation of results-oriented interventions based on the approved overall WASH and Hygiene promotion & community engagement strategies. Interventions may include, but are not limited to, awareness raising events, communication and messaging, as well as training of staff and volunteers on good public health practices.
- Contribute to the development of and apply hygiene promotion and community engagement tools and materials for overall WASH program activities.
- Support IOM Nigeria’s resource mobilization efforts by providing adequate data including on gaps and challenges in the project sites to the WASH program manager and recommend possible corrective measures as well as contributing to donor, institutional and ad hoc reporting needs and requests
- Provide technical inputs in terms of community engagement and behaviour change to all ongoing WASH projects implemented by IOM, namely IOM WASH activities in different IDP camps or camp – like settings, host community and returnees area such as construction/rehabilitation of boreholes, construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities, hygiene promotion and cholera response, solid waste management and construction of drainage lines
- Supervise hygiene promotion operations in the field including field-level coordination of mobilization activities such as mass and routine hygiene promotion campaigns.
- Contribute to implementation of IOM Nigeria WASH program strategy to respond to arising emergency, transition and recovery WASH needs in terms of community engagement, participation and feedback mechanisms.
- Provide technical support, coordinate and implement overall IOM cholera preparedness and response activities.
- Supervise technically the staff under supervision (project assistants, hygiene promotion community volunteers, WASHCOMs, WASH facilities maintenance teams) and direct implementation. Supervise periodic training for staff to ensure the quality implementation of hygiene promotion and community engagement, and to facilitate full coverage of the target population.
- In close coordination with the procurement unit, administer the procurement of culturally and linguistically appropriate IEC materials, as well as adapted hygiene kits, including Menstrual Hygiene kits.
- Maintain a system to monitor activities and analyse intervention progress, specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness of hygiene interventions for better public health outcomes and recommending specific actions for improvement. This includes undertaking field assessments in IOM areas of work on as needed basis.
- Undertake monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEAL) activities, including research to assist in evaluating the efficacy of the IOM Nigeria Hygiene Promotion and Community engagement strategy based on global, regional and national evidence/data, best practices and lessons learnt.
- Travel to the field project locations to monitor implementation of WASH projects including daily hygiene promotion, care and maintenance of WASH facilities by WASHCOMs, checking that the work is carried out according to the IOM WASH Program specifications.
- Liaise with WASH and Health Sector focal points including Hygiene Promotion TWG, Protection TWG and local government authorities to facilitate coordination and integration of key messages such as waterborne diseases prevention, Gender Based Violence (GBV) prevention/other protection messages as necessary, and good health seeking behaviour.
- Maintain effective working relations with other sectors or agencies, where appropriate, to help create synergies for raising awareness on the importance of good hygiene practices.
- Participate in WASH and other sector related meetings, actively liaising and coordinating with national and international WASH and development assistance authorities, agencies or organizations regarding planning and coordinating on hygiene promotion matters.
- Facilitate the integration of cross-cutting issues in the WASH programming such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Environment and other cross cutting issues of relevance.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Environmental Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in community mobilization and public health programmes in developing countries, preferable in countries facing humanitarian crises and in support of emergency responses;
- Experience in the region is an advantage;
- Experience working with different international organizations specialized in humanitarian assistance (e.g., UN agencies, INGOs, IOs, Donors, IFRC or ICRC);
- Proven experience in the design and / or implementation of interventions that include research methods to address behaviour change for the promotion of hygiene;
- Experience in the design and implementation of KAP surveys, including contract management.
- Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues;
- Knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Ability to formulate relevant programmatic inputs;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail;
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment;
- Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
- Strong general analytical skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and / or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Notes: Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about- iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Application Closing Date
21st April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Other jobs you may like
HR Admin / Logistics Assistant at Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI) Featured
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Yobe, Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI)