Job ID 34296
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Malteser International is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer – National Position
Location: Maiduguri, with frequent travels to field locations
Employment type: Full-time
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Duration of contract: 3 months with possibilities of extension
- Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH and Protection sectors for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities.
- The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene. They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion.
- The Protection activities are mainly in the areas of GBV (Gender Based Violence) prevention and response through provision of case management services. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
- For its work in Maiduguri, Jere and Konduga Local Governments of Borno State Nigeria, Malteser International is looking for an experienced and qualified Protection Officer – National Position.
- Under the direct supervision of the Country Program Coordinator, the Protection Officer will be responsible for the coordination and supervision of Malteser International’s GBV Programme implementation by partners across MI locations of intervention in the titled location.
- Within the responsibilities, the Protection Officer will be responsible for the technical supervision and coordination of all protection-related activities of Malteser International in Maiduguri, Jere and Konduga LGAs of Borno State, Nigeria.
- He/She will coordinate in the implementation partners to ensure GBV case management activities are fully implemented.
- He/she will also ensure that training and capacity building needs of field protection staff are timely addressed and that the protection services and activities meet quality standards in the sector.
- Ensure GBV survivors and those at risk of GBV are identified and receive individual support by ensuring standard tools and procedures are in place and adhered to by implementing partners while complying with the rules and regulations of Malteser International and donors
- Manage, provide training and technical support, and build the capacity of the full case management team
- Document all GBV cases and other related activities well and establish a good filing system and contribute to regular internal and external donor reporting
- Ensure continuous and effective liaison and coordination with target communities (IDPs and Host) as well as local and government authorities and other stakeholders on case management and offer referrals of cases where necessary
- Monitor day-to-day activities in programmes to ensure best practices are adhered to in provision of GBV case management and psychosocial support services to survivors of gender-based violence by implementing partners
- Responsible for coordination and liaising between Malteser International and local partners/other agencies/local government/local communities/displaced community, as regards Malteser International Protection programme
- Represent Malteser International at the stakeholders meeting as necessary e.g. GBV Working Group Meeting, NGO Forum.
- University Degree in Social Sciences or related field with a minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience in Protection sector (including at least one year in a supervisory role)
- Strong technical knowledge in general protection and GBV programming (i.e., protection monitoring, case management, psychosocial support activities)
- Strong report writing, planning and organizational skills with commitment to accuracy and attention to detail, ability to plan, balance and cope with completing priorities
- Good standard of IT including proficiency in using MS Office, especially Excel spreadsheets
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment while maintaining an individual workload
- Good English skills (speaking and writing); knowledge of beneficiary languages (Hausa and Kanuri is a must).
Salary according to qualification and experience.
Application Closing Date
24th October, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online