Job ID 24830
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Coordination Advisor
Vacancy No: 034
- The “TC-Fund for Regional Stabilisation and Development in Fragile Regions in ECOWAS Member States” is financed by the Federal Ministry for Development and Cooperation (BMZ) and implemented in cooperation with the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW) in selected ECOWAS member states.
- The project advises the ECOWAS Commission on the establishment of a fund as a sustainable instrument for shaping social and economic stabilisation processes in the region and has been piloting a measure in The Gambia since 2019.
- The ECOWAS Stabilisation Fund has two funding windows for financial (FC) and technical cooperation (TC) tasks in the form of a joint political governance structure (ECOWAS Commission, BMZ).
- Together with the partner, the programme examines needs to improve the employment and income situation of young people and strengthen social cohesion in Guinea-Bissau, Niger and Mali. Selected projects will be implemented in the TC funding window by national implementation partners from 2022.
The advisor is responsible for:
- Planning, steering and monitoring of project activities in selected countries of the ECOWAS in the field of food security.
- Coordination of a diverse group of stakeholders, implementing partners and country offices for the area of responsibility (remote management)
- Managing of an area of responsibility that forms an integral part of the programme objectives.
- assisting project/programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of stakeholders.
- contracting and grant management between implementing partners and HQ
- innovation and knowledge management.
The professional advisor performs the following tasks:
Advising the Partner Institution(s):
- Supports the project with the design and implementation of activities in the selected countries of the ECOWAS Stabilization Fund (FRSD)
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the contracts, coordination process, joint project activities and work at the regional level
- Deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project/programme’s area of activity
- Monitors grants and contracts regarding the quality assurance of deliverables and main outputs
Networking and Cooperation:
- Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with PR work and cooperates with National Advisory Committees in the countries, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- Communicates interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/programme
- Ensures knowledge transfer to project/programme information
- Assures contract monitoring from a technical perspective
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- Assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
The professional, advisory:
- Plans, steers operations in the area of responsibility and supports the contracting and monitoring of Grants and Service Contracts for the respective countries.
- Liaises and cooperates with key stakeholders, including partners, implementing agencies and experts respectively to assure oversight, completion and due diligence of activities.
- Assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- Coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments.
- Supports commissions management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting)
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- M.A. in Development Studies, Social or Economic Sciences, Business Administration or equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills in French and/or Portuguese (spoken and written)
- Professional proficiency in English (spoken and written).
Professional Experience (field and minimum duration):
- At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position.
- Experience and knowledge of GIZ´s main modes of delivery.
- Work experience with GIZ-conducted contracting procedures and instruments, such as Grant Agreements and Service Contracts in particular with public sector institutions and civil-society organisations.
- Experience in contracting with GIZ HQ is an asset.
- Previous experience working in SME promotion, agriculture or stabilization measures in a fragile context is an advantage.
Other Experiences and Skills (e.g. language, IT-skills, social and personal skills, etc.):
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and applications (Microsoft 365)
- Basic understanding of the feminist development policy.
- Willingness to deepen knowledge on contracting and grant management
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary / multi-institutional teams
- Team player and constructive attitude responding positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery.
- Personal integrity and accountability.
Application Closing Date
25th April, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using the Job Title and Vacancy No. as the subject of the email.
- Please include Vacancy No. 034 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.