Job ID 32860
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research and Campaigns Intern
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Durations: 2 Years
No of weekly working hours: 40
- To assist in monitoring human rights developments; supporting campaigns and growth activities; and carrying out research in various areas of focus including but not limited to arbitrary arrests, unlawful detentions, unlawful killings, women’s rights, media freedom, civic space, freedom of expression, forced evictions, torture and cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, discrimination, and access to justice.
- Assist with research and investigations on the human rights situation in Nigeria.
- Monitor human rights developments including decisions by national, regional and international human rights bodies.
- Support in the development, organisation and implementation of campaigning, communication, human rights education, and growth activities by searching for and collating relevant information, developing short notes or briefings and documenting materials in a systematic manner for easy retrieval.
- Assist in planning of meetings, seminars, workshops, compiling lists and logistical support as necessary.
- Support with processing incoming inquiries, petitions, and letters, and other administrative tasks.
- Draft letters, reports, blog posts, articles and informative pieces for internal and external audiences.
- Document minutes of weekly team meeting and send to the team administrator for review and final submission.
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: None
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the researchers, campaigners and the Finance and Office Manager; West and Central Africa Regional Office (WARO); International Secretariat (IS).
Skills, Attributes and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in a relevant field or relevant professional qualifications. Degrees in social sciences or international relations, law would be an advantage.
- A Master’s Degree is a plus;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable
- Excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy of financial records and invoices.
- Multitasking to successfully handle multiple accounts, invoices, and payments at various stages of execution.
- Excellent efficiency for handling any accounting documentation quickly with minimal interference.
- Ability to multi-task, manage conflicting demands, and work on deadlines to achieve results.
- Flexible approach to work, and willingness to undertake a range of tasks
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and multimedia tools like Canva is a plus.
N100,000 / Month.
Application Closing Date
2nd October 2023 by 23.59 pm UK time