Job ID 23394
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Job ID: 2200050V
Location: Ogoja, Cross Rivers
Post Type: National
Team: Safety and Security
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: Head of Safety and Security
- Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Key Areas of Accountability
Works with the Designated Field Manager and the Head of Safety and Security (HoSS) at the CO to coordinate:
- The development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors
- Ensure all Ogoja office and its operational locations complies with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies.
- Provide support as required to the Field Incident Management Team in case of security-related crisis
Assessment and Analysis:
- Coordinate with the alternate Security Focal Points for the preparation & delivery of high quality reports, analysis and security by gathering information from a variety of sources.
- The Security Officer will submit written weekly Field security report to the Field Manager and HoSS.
- The Security Officer will coordinate field office weekly security briefing.
- Ensure that incident reports are properly compiled in a timely manner by staff and shared with the Field Manager and HoSS.
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow up actions and recommendations
- Provide security updates which include situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended to SC Field management team
Policies and procedures:
- Ensure that all Ogoja staff understand the country-wide security plan and agree to abide by its policies and procedures.
- Monitor the security environment and adjust security policies and procedures accordingly in consultation with the Field Managers and the HoSS
- Ensure quality and relevance of area security plans.
- Undertake reviews of policies and procedures; identify opportunities to enhance security.
- Advise on safe movement for staff e.g. proper vehicle fleet management policies, adequate safety and communication equipment in vehicles and training drivers in established procedures and requisite skills
- Assist with proposal development to ensure adequate consideration of safety and security need and inclusion of security costs.
- Undertake security assessments of and field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements.
- Provide safety and security support and advise to Field TAs Programme managers.
Communication and Training:
- Liaise on a regular basis with other INGOs and UN agencies in Ogoja, government and local administration and where possible with community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information
- Coordinate the gathering and flow of information with other relevant actors; classify security information according to its reliability and accuracy
- Coordinate and manage the proper use of SCI communication equipment/systems and alert the Field Manager of any hardware failures
- Develop security briefing material and provide orientation to incoming or newly appointed staff
- Coordinate Safety and Security trainings to SCI Ogoja staff and partners. Trainings will include medical, communications, guard force and driving but will also include other higher-level security trainings.
- Provide timely security briefings for visitors to Ogoja and on occasions escort visitors on field missions
- Develop and implement security training for all Ogoja staff, develop and apply evaluation processes to determine whether training competencies are met.
- The successful candidate will have a high degree of common sense and a genuine interest in people.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- A clear understanding of the philosophy and mode of operation of NGOs
- Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with field level , national and international institutions
- Minimum of 4 years experience in complex and insecure settings
- Well organised with ‘people skills’
- Ability and willingness to travel within Cross-River, Benue and Taraba states in Nigeria is essential.
- Demonstrable network of contacts within Nigeria
- Computer literate – Able to use Microsoft office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and spoken English leading to the ability to produce a high standard of both written and oral work
- Ability to analyse information
- The ability to work harmoniously in a multi-national / multi-cultural environment.
- The ability to work independently, multi-task and anticipate problems
- Ability to speak the local languages is an advantage.
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Background training and service in any security service.
Competencies and Behaviours
Delivering Results (Skilled):
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
Innovating and Adapting (Skilled):
- Suggests creative improvements and better ways of working
- Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
- Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
- Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled):
- Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
Working Effectively With Others (Skilled):
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
Communicating With Impact (Skilled):
- Actively listens and seeks to understand before being understood
- Ensures communications are concise and well-structured
- Shares appropriate relevant and timely information with others
- Prepares effectively for meetings
Values and Critical Competencies:
- An understanding of the Humanitarian Principles
- Active listener
- Capable of displaying Leadership
- Self-reliant, reliable
- Clear understanding of Decision, Action, Consequence
Application Closing Date
17th March, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Other jobs you may like
HR Admin / Logistics Assistant at Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI) Featured
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Yobe, Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI)