Job ID 34289
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria is one of the sub-partners in a CRS-led consortium planning to deliver a 38 million USD, 24-month humanitarian and early-recovery activity in Borno State titled Transitioning Households to Recovery from Vulnerability (THRIVE).
- THRIVE will provide context-specific multi-sectoral humanitarian assistance with the goal of saving lives and initiating early recovery in four wards in Borno State, Jere LGA: Mairi, Mashamari, Dusuman, and Maimusari. Across the 24-month period, THRIVE will reach over 300,000 unique participants with a humanitarian and recovery intervention covering ten sectors: Food Assistance, Health, Multi-purpose Cash Assistance, Shelter and settlement, Nutrition, WASH, Protection, Agriculture and econ. Recovery and Market Systems (ERMS). Other partners in the THRIVE consortium are WINN, Salient Humanitarian Organization, and Justice Development & Peace Commission (Maiduguri).
General Position Summary
- The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer is a key team member of Mercy Corps’ Program Performance and Quality (PaQ) unit. The unit exists to support program design, implementation, and utilization of information collected at different stages.
- The position holder will support the planning and execution of monitoring and evaluation, ensuring quality in accordance with accepted standards, providing essential feedback for learning, accountability and decision-making on the Mercy Corps Nigeria’s THRIVE program (Transitioning Households to Recovery from Vulnerability – THRIVE) in Northeast Nigeria.
- S/he will be responsible for providing internal capacity building for program staff on monitoring and evaluation activities as well as reviewing and developing the tools and reports necessary to meet Mercy Corps and donor reporting requirements.
- The Senior MEL Officer will work with the Mercy Corps program team as well as partner organizations to oversee and ensure the collection of quality MEL data for the program.
- The Senior MEL Officer will be responsible for supporting the MEL Team under him/her to oversee the implementation of Mercy Corps MEL strategy and standards.
- S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized between program sites.
- The Senior MEL officer will be an integral member of the program team learning and reflection processes, leading discussions on program learning.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Design:
- Contribute to adapting existing M&E systems to monitor and evaluate project activities and impact, by existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines and in compliance with the Consortium lead Partner MEL Systems
- Ensure regular reporting to the Consortium MEL Manager and assist in the coordination of Consortium MEL activities.
- Assist in program strategy design, planning, and implementation to ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ Minimum Standards, including the use of standardized tools and indicators and documentation methodologies.
- Lead and support the design and implementation of assessments and other pre, ex-ante, and post-data collection and analysis.
- Support learning-to-action events and reflection sessions to analyze data for programmatic use and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design, planning, and implementation.
- Actively participate in any additional evaluation MEL activities including but not limited to baseline surveys, mid-term, end-line surveys, evaluations, household surveys
- Develop Data Quality Assessment Plans and lead in implementing plans.
- Work closely with the program teams and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
Data Management and Quality Control:
- Assist program teams to develop and maintain knowledge and information management systems to support data collection, reflection, analysis, and reporting needs.
- Ensure quality control procedures and accuracy of entered data and compare it with the existing filing system to make sure all records are consistent and aligned.
- Provide support in the development of MEL Plans, tools, survey design, methodology, data analysis, and other services as may be required for program monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversee data indicator tracking and analysis, linking it with evidence regularly and ensuring that data and metrics in field reports are accurate.
- Remain updated with developments among the Mercy Corps Nigeria MEL community and agency-wide MEL trends and resources and ensure that the MEL team is applying MC guidance and policies appropriately and promptly.
- Maintain an up-to-date database that reflects progress through TolaData (including disaggregated beneficiary counts) and donor indicators.
- Maintain an up-to-date database of participant’s reach in the Consortium’s data management platforms.
- Document changes to generate learnings and ideas for programs.
- Work with the program team to identify opportunities to innovate M&E systems (particularly digital enhancement, data visualization, and GIS).
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations, and monitoring surveys in the area of operation.
Documentation, Reporting, and Learning:
- Regularly document program data analysis summaries, and evaluations and provide evidence-based information, and other high-quality, results-based documentation.
- Produce quality program reports and support program teams to review and improve the quality of reporting.
- Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data, and stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams and support partner organizations with proper documentation and report generation.
- Work closely with Learning and Communication officer to identify and document different case stories and communications points and processes across programs.
Internal and External Coordination:
- Maintain professional relationships with local government officials, private sector partners, NGOs, other development organizations, and civil society organizations.
- Maintain an active advisory role with the program and MEL team to help guide them toward robust and relevant data collection.
- Work with MEL and IT staff to maximize the value and utility of technology initiatives for effective MEL.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to credit Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its mission.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Duration: 7months
- Supervisory Responsibility: Mel officers
- Reports Directly To: MEL Manager
- Works Directly With: Program Managers, Strategic Learning Manager, Sector Leads, Field Managers, Consortium MEL Leads, Consortium Program teams, Communication Teams, Technical Advisors, Program Teams, Program Support Teams
Knowledge and Experience
- BA / BSc in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Economics, Development Studies, or another similar field; MA/MS/MBA in similar fields or equivalent is also preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience in development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation or other learning efforts is required.
- Past or current experience with supporting/managing MEL in consortiums is preferable.
- Should understand concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, results frameworks/program logic, and participatory monitoring.
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative data collection and reporting techniques.
- Ability to design and implement surveys and knowledge of commonly used sampling techniques.
- Experience with facilitation, capacity building, formal and informal knowledge transfer, partnership strengthening, and empowering staff through opportunities for growth and development.
- Experience leading learning extraction, development, and sharing as part of the monitoring and evaluation feedback process.
- Familiarity with data visualization and data analytics
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as Tableau, SPSS, EPI Info, and mobile data collection platforms is preferable.
- Experience with digital or technology platforms for the program and MEL-related activities
- Strong ability to work across teams and communicate well with remote collaborators.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is a plus.
- S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, and rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive, and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills, and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- A strong team member will be conscientious, with excellent judgment, capable of multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and attention to detail with strategic vision.
- S/he must have the confidence, and humility, to work effectively with a large variety of people who will be diverse culturally, economically and in social status.
- S/he must be sensitive to political and cultural nuance and able to consistently apply excellent judgment to a variety of demanding and fast-changing situations, as well as the ability to foster solid working relationships with Mercy Corps staff.
- Working as part of a team and coordinating with project personnel, as well as strong organizational skills, are essential to this position.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno state and it requires up to 30% travel to field offices in northeast Nigeria.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we can better leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination based on race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran, status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program parti,cipants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASCand have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Closing Date
20th October, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.