Job ID 27929
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Officer – Youth Enterprise & Economic Strengthening (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Job Identification: 3000753
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Program Management
- You will manage economic recovery and market systems (ERMS) programming activities under CRS in THRIVE, based in Maiduguri. Together with the Project Officer Youth enterprises and economic strengthening, you will work with participants, and participant groups, stakeholders, and consortium partners in the implementation of ERMS sector activities.
- You will work collaboratively as a team member with the other CRS sector leads and MEAL in THRIVE, under the leadership of the Food Security and Livelihood Advisor to plan, sequence, and layer all sector interventions to achieve optimal integration and impact for the poor and vulnerable.
- You will also oversee the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring, program quality and reporting for economic recovery and marketing systems activities. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that THRIVE delivers high-quality, cost-effective and locally appropriate programming, and continuously works towards improving the impact of its interventions.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Manage and implement all economic recovery and market system, specifically 1) formation of project participants into savings and internal lending communities ( SILC), capacity assessment and building of the groups for optimal realization of economic gains by the targeted participants, monitor SILC groups throughout the savings cycle 2) implementation of youth enterprise activities, identification of targeted youths, mapping and prioritization of youth preferred vocational trainings, identification and capacity building of artisans to support apprenticeship for the targeted youths vocational enterprises. Support transparent linkage of youths to identified and trained artisans, and monitor the apprenticeship process while ensuring good observance of protection standards.
- Implement and monitor granting of the targeted youths,
- Enhance utilization of appropriate systems and tools in the realization of project activities throughout the project cycle and in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure effective planning and integration of economic recovery and market system interventions with THRIVE activities in nutrition and protection, food assistance, and shelter and settlement &WASH.
- Represent THRIVE and CRS at all state-level sector-based coordination mechanisms for youth enterprise and economic strengthening.
- Champion learning amongst project staff and partner teams. Analyze and evaluate project performance data following MEAL policy. Proactively identify issues and concerns and use participatory processes to overcome implementation obstacles.
- Act as a key resource person in project design and proposal development in respective programming area, gap-filling and taking on growth responsibilities, as needed.
- Coordinate the identification of youth vocational enterprises, artisans and facilitate linkage of targeted youths to identified and trained artisans for apprenticeship.
- Help identify, assess, and strengthen partnerships relevant to economic recovery and market systems.
- Coordinate and monitor financial and material resources relevant to project needs. Through planning and oversight ensure efficient use of project resources
- English and Hausa are essential. Knowledge of one or more of the languages spoken in Maiduguri, such as Kanuri or Shuwa Arabic is an advantage
- The post is based in Maiduguri and includes 60% travel to field locations in the Jere area of Maiduguri.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in implementing youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities is essential.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound judgments.
- Demonstrable capacities in team working and cross-sectoral planning and implementation.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups
- Experience in managing relationships and performance with partner organizations and representing programs to local stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports and make presentations.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
- Experience in implementing youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities is desired.
- Program management experience in North-East Nigeria is desirable
- Experience in implementing emergency agriculture and livelihood programming
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- MEAL skills and experience preferred. Experience using CommCare and Power BI is an advantage.
- Experience of using market-based mechanisms and CVA modalities, including the RedRose platform, for provision of assistance to youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities is desirable,
- Practical hands-on experience working with community savings groups.
- Supervises Youth Enterprises and Economic Strengthening Project Officer
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: COP, DCOP, Food Security and Livelihood Advisor, Food assistance PM, other THRIVE sector leads, Head of Office, Heads of Administration, Supply Chain, and Finance, Security Coordinator, Admin and Operations staff in Maiduguri and Abuja.
- External: UN, coordination forums, INSO, THRIVE implementing partners, relevant government ministries.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Livelihood and Economic Strengthening -based courses or related field. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of two years of relevant field-based management experience in coordinating similar interventions in North- East Nigeria.
- Minimum two years in implementing youth entrepreneurship and economic strengthening in NE Nigeria
- Minimum one year in a supervisory role in similar or related tole
- Minimum one year budget management experience
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
1st July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online