Job ID 28517
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Research Supervisor
Job Type: Full-time
- Support identification of traits in yam breeding lines and germplasm that are desirable for recycling as parent and advancement, such as disease resistance, increased yield, or improved food quality.
- Participate in the execution of breeding trials in different growing conditions to determine how well they perform in nature.
- Assist in monitoring and identifying yam diseases and creating strategies to prevent them from spreading to other plants.
- Support the development of new yam varieties that meet specific criteria, such as increased productivity or improved taste, color, and food quality.
- Participate in the selection of the best yam clones to breed based on desired traits and characteristics.
- Participate in the development of breeding strategies to produce yam varieties with the desired characteristics, including selecting parents with desired traits that can be passed on to offspring.
- Participate in the multiplication of planting materials for breeding trials and delivery.
- Coordinate breeding testing networks with partners including preparation of SOP, trial design, distribution of germplasm for testing networks, retrieving data, and ensure data entry to the database.
- Coordinate on-farm testing and demand creation network with producers, marketers, development practitioners, and consumers.
- Ensure timely availability of germplasm inventory reports.
- Conduct and collect necessary data for advanced breeding lines in both greenhouses and field locations.
- Maintain breeder work collections in the field, analyze data and report to the Supervisor on time.
- Supervise daily casual laborers and other subordinate staff.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- B.Sc / HND in Agriculture or related field with a minimum of four (4) years experience performing similar role in a well-structured environment
- Experience in clonal breeding program and on-farm testing will be an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be competent in farmer participatory activities/evaluation
- Have ability to communicate effectively with partners and farmers.
- Have ability to work under pressure and deliver quality job.
- Have excellent team work capability.
- Be competent in data analysis and report writing.
- We offer highly competitive salaries with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Other jobs you may like
HR Admin / Logistics Assistant at Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI) Featured
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Yobe, Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI)