Job ID 29668
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Centre (SC) Nurse
Job Identification: 2313
Post Type: National
Contract Details: Fixed term
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Programme Operations
- The Nurse will work with the Doctors to provide clinical and nutritional care for complicated cases of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) admitted at the stabilization Centre (SC).
- S/He will also maintain accurate patient records, provide input into SCI reports and actively participate in the smooth functioning of the SC.
Key Areas of Accountability
Objective 1: Provision of high quality Nursing care to complicated SAM cases.
- Admit all patients presenting into the SC in line with the admission criteria.
- Provide quality nursing clinical care to complicated cases of SAM admitted at the Stabilization Centre (SC).
- Ensure Nursing and clinical care provided at the SC is in line with the National guidelines for In-patient Management of SAM.
- Stabilize all critical patients in line with the protocols in collaboration with the doctors and other team members.
- Patient monitoring for patients in Phase 1, the transition phase and Phase 2 is in line with guidelines.
- Report any medical or clinical complications on a timely basis to the doctor and other team members.
- Ensure nursing records and monitoring charts are up-to-date and well-maintained.
- Mentor and provide on-the-job training on stabilization care and documentation to Dieticians & help mothers deployed to the SC.
- Respect for approved protocols for the management of severe acute malnutrition.
- Correct use of programme monitoring and evaluation (recording) tools in reporting and recording.
- Appropriate use of resources, stock control and ordering procedures.
Objective 2: Programme Documentation and reporting:
- Ensure the utilization of medicines, medical supplies, and nutrition-related commodities are routinely documented in the relevant data tools.
- Ensure timely collection and compilation of quality data for the production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all SC activities.
- Support the nurse in charge in the development of weekly and monthly reports on activities, and any other ad hoc report that may be required.
Objective3: Other program roles
- Ensure that quality nutrition services are provided by the help mothers at night and during the weekend in the absence of the dieticians.
- Participate in weekly Nutrition related Meetings, trainings and workshops and feed information acquired back into programming.
- Organize and Participate in Nutrition education sessions for mothers/caretakers in the stabilization centre.
- Carry out any other role as provided for by the Nurse team leader.
- Work and strengthen relationships with Borno State Ministry of Health and Hospital Management Board, UNICEF and other partners implementing CMAM and Stabilization Care in the State.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Nursing from a recognized/accredited University in Nigeria.
- At least two years post-graduation experience.
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs.
- Experience in nutrition and community-based programmes.
- Training and experience in the treatment of acute malnutrition.
- Advocacy and logistics experience.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa, spoken and written.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must have a valid practice license.
- Work experience in the health/public health and or in a health/public health organization, including as a trainer.
- Experience in providing institutional support and technical assistance to development partners, and government/community institutions.
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches.
- Effective planning and organizing skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), take responsibility for their personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their vision for Save the Children, and engages and motivates others.
- Future-orientated thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Demonstrates the highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
27th July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Other jobs you may like
HR Admin / Logistics Assistant at Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI) Featured
- @ ListingAPI-2
- Yobe, Concern for Women and Children Development Foundation (COWACDI)