Job ID 35141
Experience See Job Description
Gender Male or Famele
Qualifications See Job Description
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor – Food Security & Livelihoods
Employment Type: Full-time
- The transitional development assistance (TDA) project “Strengthening capacities for peacebuilding and conflict resolution in Central Nigeria” financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) aims to strengthen conditions for a de-escalation of violent conflict in Plateau State in Central Nigeria.
- Conflicts have escalated in recent years, and the displacement and insecurity this causes negatively impact on agricultural and livestock farming. Value chains are disrupted, and the rural population’s self – sufficiency capacities are diminished.
- In support to the de-escalation and prevention of conflict, the project works to promote peaceful coexistence, inclusive peacebuilding and conflict transformation processes, poverty reduction, sustainable livelihoods and food security.
- The project has a duration of 4 years (until 09/2023) and pursues a participatory and inclusive approach. Actual needs of target groups inform project activities.
The project focuses on three components that are implemented together with local and international partners:
- Enhancement of capacities of state and civil society actors in Plateau State to de-escalate conflict.
- Strengthening an environment for conflicting parties to resume (traditional) trade and exchange relationships.
- Development of an impact and context monitoring that provides an informed decision-making basis for local decision-makers and development cooperation projects for a context-sensitive planning and implementation of activities
- Implementing daily operational aspects of all issues related to the project
- Processing technical aspects and further developing the area of responsibility in accordance with the specified quality standards
- Maintaining of a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ
- Ensuring that the project office runs smoothly.
Management and Coordination:
The Technical Professional:
- Coordinates and assists in preparing and conducting project activities and carries out other activities required for implementing these components
- Coordinates the use of office and transport capacities in accordance with the agreement on the use of facilities at the relevant office location
- Is responsible for estimating costs for project activities in accordance with the prevailing provisions and coordinates these costs with the admin team
- Assists the project with all organisational issues
- Regularly consults with the GIZ officer responsible for the contract and cooperation on all project activities and has an overview of the contracts, grants, subsidies in his/her field of activity
- Helps identify the needs of communities, government institutions and NGOs
- Participates in formulating project action plans and helps synchronise the planning and budgeting system and counterparts
- Is jointly responsible with the partner institution for preparing, implementing and documenting training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other project activities
Communication and Networking:
The Technical Professional:
- Develops and maintains contact with all important stakeholders
- Provides technical assistance to local and international experts
- Ensures knowledge management: collects, processes and distributes relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between government institutions, NGOs and society through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
Other Duties / Additional Tasks:
The technical professional:
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- University Degree in an Area that is related to the Project / Programme Objectives, with a focus on Food Security, Livelihoods, Agriculture.
- At least 3 years professional experience in a comparable position
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Strong managerial and organisational competence
- Willingness to travel (abroad) regularly
- Excellent knowledge of English language and a basic understanding of Hausa Language are requirements. An understanding of Fulfulde Language is desirable
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Experience in logistics and event management is desirable
- Understanding of German development policy goals with a focus on Feminist Development Policy
- Familiarity with administration of contracts and financing agreements
- Strong understanding of cultural aspects of Farmer / Herder conflict in Nigeria and West Africa
- Excellent individual management skills, regarding time management, workload, and responsibilities
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively in challenging settings
- Understanding of agile working methods.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.