Job ID 8157
Experience 5 Years
Gender Male or Famele
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Coordinator
Requisition ID: 2021202044
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full-time
- The humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria continues to affect millions of people, increasing their vulnerability to disease, poverty, and violence. Of the 1.92 million people internally displaced, 81% are in Borno State. Across the state, internally displaced persons (IDPs) face hardship due to insecurity and the breakdown of health care services, including a lack of medical professionals, food security, livelihoods and other economic activities.
- FHI 360 has been operating in Nigeria for over 30 years and in 2017, began providing support to IDPs across the northeast, based in Maiduguri, Borno state. The integrated program provides life-saving and sustaining activities under health, nutrition, WASH and protection.
- FHI 360 is seeking a WASH Coordinator to lead the WASH component of humanitarian response Northeast Nigeria. The WASH Coordinator is responsible for developing and leading technical programming and plays a critical role in ensuring the organization’s emergency programming is responsive to the needs of conflict-affected populations in Nigeria. They will ensure humanitarian activities are evidence-based and adhere to technical standards for the field, and as circumstances demand, engage at all stages of an emergency, from the initial acute phase to transition and recovery, and will support technical programs from assessment and conception to close-out and evaluation.
- Based in Maiduguri, this duty station has been designated as high risk or extreme risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application.
- Lead the WASH component with the goal of improving the well-being of affected communities through access to safe and adequate water and improved hygiene practices.
- Monitor progress on the delivery of all WASH related activities and ensure that objectives are being met on time and on scope per annual workplans.
- Conduct WASH assessments, provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities, and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations in crisis-affected communities.
- Provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations.
- Develop partnerships and ensure effective coordination with local service providers and international organizations operating in the sector and attend WASH cluster meetings.
- Work with operations staff and partners to ensure commodities and services are procured, handled, and managed properly, in accordance with the organization’s supply-chain management protocols.
- Manage WASH sector budget including routine expense forecasting and pipeline analysis.
- Determine staffing needs for emergency programming, conduct recruitment in collaboration with management and home office technical staff, as necessary.
- Manage field personnel supporting WASH programming.
- Provide guidance, training, and mentorship for building the capacity of local government, non-governmental organizations, and private businesses for planning and implementation of WASH activities.
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts, implementing partners’ technical staff, and other FHI 360 departments and projects.
- Work in collaboration with the rest of the project team to ensure that activities are coordinated and implemented on schedule and within budget.
- Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and other reports as required by FHI 360 and BHA.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays or modifications to projects or operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with the department’s strategic goals.
- Must be able to provide accurate, expert-level advice to reach outcomes that will enable achievement of overall department and organization goals.
- Demonstrates a responsive, professional attitude that is solution-oriented.
- Decisions and actions have a serious impact on the overall success of the function.
Supervision Given / Received:
- Regularly interacts with senior management and HQ based staff.
- Leads by “managing managers” or other direct/indirect reports in the region / functional area.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals set for the functional unit.
- Provide input on country / project staff performance reviews.
- In coordination with senior management, hire / terminates country / project staff.
- Reports to the Response Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Environment, Civil or Water Resources or Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Public Health, Human Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced Degree preferred.
- Typically requires 5 – 8 years leading complex on-site emergency WASH response projects and/or programs.
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries preferred.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
- Demonstrable experience designing and leading technical assessments using proven and effective methodologies; strong background in outcome monitoring and evaluation preferred.
- Experience coordinating complex programs with wide variety of stakeholders; experience as cluster co-lead preferred.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct.
- Experience working with Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) and US Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (State/PRM) preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- English fluency required; fluency in Portuguese a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor and a listener in group settings which include senior staff.
- Well-organized, resourceful, effective, and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done and must have proven track record of successfully working on multiple tasks at once and foresees and plan around obstacles.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross cultural settings.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move 5 – 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel to remote field site locations that lack basic essentials.
- Candidate must be in good physical condition and understand that medical care is not readily available at duty station.
Technology to be Used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer / copier.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online