It’s a two-way street when it comes to interviews. Obviously, the interview process is being used by the organization to assess you and your qualifications in order to determine whether you are a good fit for the company’s needs. However, the interview is equally important because it allows you to assess how well the company and the position match your requirements. Forming a series of well-thought-out questions ahead of time will not only help you elicit relevant information from the interviewer, but it will also show your intelligence and genuine interest in the job.
Fit for the Role
- What are the most critical skills and qualities that a candidate must possess in order to be successful in this position?
- What qualities do you look for in an employee in your company?
- Please describe the working environment.
- What are the most challenging aspects of your job?
- What would a typical day in this position look like?
- How can you describe your management style?
- How do you prefer to communicate with your coworkers?
- In this interviewing process, what is the next step?
- What would you say your company’s culture is like?
- What is your department’s organizational structure?
- Who are the primary stakeholders for whom you are responsible: shareholders, clients, workers, and so on?
- How do you make decisions when the needs of these groups are in direct opposition to one another?
- What do you expect from new employees during their first 90 days on the job? Within the first six months?
- When and how will my work performance be assessed?
- What metrics do you use to determine whether you’re on track to meet your objectives?
- What criteria will be used to evaluate my performance in this position?
The Organization’s Long-Term Plan
- What do you see for the business (or department) in the next two years? What will happen in the next five years?
- As a manager, what are your current biggest challenges?
- What is the organization’s current greatest challenge?
- What is the competitive advantage of the organization in the marketplace?