Job ID 27507
Experience 3 Years
Gender Male or Famele
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Control Associate
Job ID: JR2320153
Job Type: Full Time
Target Start Date: 2023-07-01
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
- The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification.
- Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure.
- It is essential to maintain segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight.
- Where there is no Project Control Officer, General Service staff performing project control functions should report directly to the Head of Office.
- The Project Control Associate receives general guidance and work plans from the supervisor.
- They work independently on regular assignments under the supervision of the Project Control Officer or to the same management level as programme. The incumbent may supervise other general service staff.
- Project Control staff play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners.
- As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Nature of Position
- The Project Control Associate reports to the Project Control Officer and will assist in providing oversight and monitoring for UNHCR’s projects, which are currently being implemented by 22 partners across the operation.
- In addition, the associate may also be assigned responsibilities to track expenditures and monitor compliance with UNHCR policies for projects implemented under a direct implementation arrangement.
- The position is based in the Country Office in Abuja and requires close coordination with other Project Control staff based in UNHCR’s Sub Offices in Maiduguri and Ogoja who perform similar functions.
- S/he will assist the Project Control Officer in reviewing project partnership agreements, assessing adequacy of Partner internal control systems, developing risk-based monitoring plans, following up on outstanding partner audit recommendations, and participating in the financial verification of partner project financial reports.
- Additionally, S/he will contribute to performance monitoring, track project risks and provide support for project closure at the end of the implementation period.
- The Project Control Associate is expected to work closely with colleagues from various units, including program, finance, and supply, as well as partners, to ensure the implementation of projects aligns with partnership agreements and objectives.
- Contribute to reviewing the internal control systems of implementing partners.
- Contribute to reviewing that IP agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Monitor that a complete record is maintained for all projects.
- Contribute to reviewing, analysing and verifying Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Ensure that the funds obligated under an IP agreement permit the payment of the next instalment or a disbursement, confirming the status of instalments already paid.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Bring to the attention of supervisors and programme officers any significant variances at the office level in: budget execution, percentage of project execution, time schedule, and quality of projects against specifications or terms and conditions.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up to date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Escalate IP issues to supervisors.
- Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of instalments.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Have unlimited access to financial and operational records relating to projects.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For G6 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Business Administration;
- Project Management.
Desired Candidate Profile:
- Ideal candidate should hold a Degree in Accounting, Finance or Auditing.
- Candidates should have least three years’ working experience in Accounting, Finance or Auditing.
- Must have demonstrated experience in analyzing financial reports to support decision making.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying gaps in internal control systems of the organization and proposing implementable solutions to safeguard organizations resources.
- Should be familiar with UN financial rules.
- Experience in working with UN organizations is desirable.
- Good technical skills in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft word and MSRP or other ERPs.
Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential:
- FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc)
- FI-Financial auditing
- MG-Project Management
- PM-Project Assurance
- RM-Risk Management
- IT-ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Functional Knowledge
- IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
- IT-Computer Literacy.
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Living and Working Conditions:
- Abuja has an active social life with recreational facilities that positively support the integration of new arrivals in the city.
- Medical facilities – Standard medical facilities (such as the UN clinic, NISA Premier Hospital, Nizamiye Hospital, etc.) are available in Abuja.
- Food and environmental sanitation – There are a variety of local, national, and international food items available, and the city has good environmental sanitation systems.
- Housing -There are good housing accommodations in Abuja though relatively expensive when compared to other cities in the country.
- Well-being and family life – Abuja is a relatively safe city to stay in with family and there are facilities that support social life and well-being. International schools are available with relatively expensive fees.
- Communication – English and Pidgin-English are widely spoken and understood alongside indigenous languages.
- The general security situation in Abuja is calm but unpredictable.
- Staff must be aware of very high incidence of crime and terrorism in the capital.
- Terrorism is the main threat in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja SLA. General crime is also prevalent.
- Accounting Other, Auditing Other, Business Administration Other, Finance Other, Project Management Other
- Finance, Project Control
- Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Judgement & decision making, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Political awareness, Teamwork & collaboration.
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifications candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
- As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates may be subjected to written test as well as oral interviews.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.